2012: Internet Access for Summer Residents
Effective Dates: June-Aug 2013
Guests to the University campus often wish to access the network for business or personal use. While we are not a commercial ISP, we do offer several options for limited network access to non-University summer residents:
- Use the Guest Wireless access where available; no charge; not available in all locations (see Guest Wireless Access for details).
- Purchase broadband (wired) Internet access for each computer in a residence; $50 plus handling per computer (see Broadband Internet Access for details).
If you are a summer resident with a University Internet ID, please see: ResNet@UMD or Wireless Access for connection details.
Terms and Conditions
Please note that the UMD Network Terms and Conditions apply to all guests on the University network as well. In particular:
- No personal wireless hubs or routers: Our network is designed as a shared resource, and unauthorized devices (like wireless hubs or routers) cause disruptions to service. Because of this, personal wireless hubs or routers are not allowed on the University's network. Please leave yours at home.
- No copying or providing copyrighted software, music, videos, or television programs: Downloading or sharing copyrighted material is against the law; doing it while on the University network (ResNet, wireless, VPN or modem) is against University policy. See File Sharing on the University Network for details.
Guest wireless service is rate-limited and restricted to web-only access. It is provided as a short-term service for temporary guests. Guest wireless service is currently available in all residence halls and apartments and throughout most of the campus, including:
Cost: There is no additional cost for this service.
How to Access the Guest Wireless Service
- Turn your computer on and launch your web browser (IE, Firefox).
- If you are redirected to the University's wireless login page, you are in a wireless zone.
- Connect your wireless client to the UMD-Guest-Wireless service.
- Read the "Guest User Rights and Responsibilities."
For more information on the Guest Wireless service
See: UMD Guest Wireless Service
Most residence hall rooms and apartments are wired with Ethernet jacks for broadband Internet service. (Lake Superior Hall has wireless access only.) In the apartments, the Ethernet jacks are located in the bedrooms.
Cost: To use broadband Internet service, you will need:
- A Guest ResNet Account - purchased from ITSS for $50 plus handling / device.
- An RJ45 Ethernet (TPE) cable - available for purchase at UMD Computer Corner or any computer retail store.
How to purchase wired Internet access / Guest Account:
- Go to the ITSS TechCenter, Kirby Plaza 165. If you have a laptop computer, bring it with you.
- Complete the "Guest Network Service Agreement Form" and pay the $50 fee (plus handling) for each computer.
- ITSS staff will complete the registration of your computer on the network.