News Briefs: 2008
- New Infection Alert: Fake Codecs
- 01.10.08: This holiday season, fake codecs for video players were among the biggest computer threats. Folks downloading codecs needed for video players found themselves victim to viruses, malware, and the like. (A codec is software that is used to compress or decompress a digital media file, such as a song or video). Please keep your computer safe! Visit the ITSS Virus and Security Information web site for the latest news, links, and assistance for keeping your computer clear.
- UMCal archiving begins
- 01.15.08: Beginning Feb. 1, the Office of Information Technology (OIT) will archive UMCal user data older than 18 months. The archived data will be stored in a standards-based file format for a minimum of seven years. Customers can request their calendar archives from the UMCal Support Group.
- The archiving is being done to increase system performance and to provide a clear retention policy. Additional information is available at: UMCal Archiving.
- ITSS TechCenter Opens
- 09.02.08: ITSS is pleased to announce the opening of our new ITSS TechCenter in Kirby Plaza 165. We have combined our services for computer maintenance, desktop support, help desk, AV checkout, and classroom and computer lab support into one area. Our goal is to provide the campus community with one place to stop and one number to call for answers, advice and assistance with all of your UMD technology needs. For details and hours, see: ITSS TechCenter.
- Fake AV software on the rise
- 09.17.08 We have seen a marked increase in the number of fake anti-virus installations on computers on the University network. The fake AV applications are disguised as legitimate antivirus tools, often offering false scans or creating pop-up windows which warn users that their systems are 'infected'. Once the user installs it, the fake AV program can be used to collect credit card info and other private data.
- The most common fake AV version currently seen on our network is "AntiVirus XP 2008." For more information about this malware, see: Fake AV software: Antivirus XP 2008.