For the full
version of the newsletter read infotech.News
Technology news for UMD faculty, staff and students
Web Server Upgrade
- ITSS is replacing our existing web server (www.d.umn.edu)
with newer hardware and software. If you have web pages on our existing
web server that utilize CGI please test them before
October 31 to ensure that they will be functional on the new system.
How is Educational Technology at UMN Working for You?
- During the month of October a sample of faculty
and students will have an opportunity to provide feedback
for the 2011 UMN Technology Survey.
Moving Your UMCal Data to Google Calendar
- If you completed the transition to a University Google
account and have items in UMCal that you want to place in
your Google calendar, it will be necessary for you to
manually export your calendar data file, known as your "ics"
file, and import it into Google.
Virtual Server Update
- If you are considering purchasing server hardware for your next
project we strongly encourage you to use our virtual server solution
- The Multimedia Hub is experiencing increased student use
and equipment rental due to the the creation of a "Talk Zone"
on the second floor of Library.
Infrastructure Investment Initiative (I3) Award
- An interdisciplinary group of researchers in the Viz lab
has been awarded an Infrastructure Investment Initiative (I3)
Stop. Think. Connect.
- October is National Cyber Security Awareness
Month. This is an annual effort to increase awareness
and prevention of online security problems, spearheaded
by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the
National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA).
Policy Update: Mass Email
- ITSS has provided a new web page to describe the
many options for
sending mass email.
infotechNews is published monthly
during the academic year by ITSS.
An email digest is sent to users subscribed
to infotech.announce, UMD.business.announce and
The goal is to distribute technology information useful to the
daily routines of the UMD campus community.
Comments or suggestions may be sent to the editor at: