versions of articles read infotech.News
Technology news for UMD faculty, staff and students
SFTP Required on UMD Web Server
- Effective February 6, 2012, plain FTP service will be
disabled on the UMD web server (www.d.umn.edu). After this
date, you will need to use secure FTP (SFTP) to upload files
to our web server.
Captioning: The Right Thing to Do is Becoming Easier
- A new service makes captioning feasible for just about
any video that will go online.
Internet Capacity Doubled
- ITSS worked with the State of Minnesota and OIT/NTS at
the University of Minnesota to double the capacity of the
campus Internet service over January break.
More 24-Hour Lab Access, Mac Labs Return to Montague
- Four labs join KPlz 143 in being open 24 hours a day, 5
days a week and two Mac labs are back in Montague Hall.
New U of M Sign In Pages, Effective February 15
- On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 5 a.m. (pending
approval by the Office of Information Technology (OIT) Change
Approval Board), OIT will upgrade the University of Minnesota
sign in page and its authentication platform.
Industry Moving Away From VHS
- As the result of the industry moving away from VHS we are
beginning to phase out DVD/VHS combo players from
ITSS Managed Database Service
- ITSS offers complete packages of hardware, database
software, database administration and system administration
in support of your data needs.
ITSS Managed WordPress Service
- WordPress is a free and open source blogging tool and
content management system (CMS) powered by PHP and
contractual agreement for Google Apps with the
Google Now Available to Health Care Components (HCC)
- We finally have a sub-domain for Google Apps for HCC
Moodle 2 Upgrade Moving Along
- With both Moodle 1.9 and WebVista shutting down this
August, the upgrade to Moodle 2 is moving along.
Proposed Rates and Fees for 2012-2013
- ITSS is proposing to increase rates for our billable
labor services in FY13. We have worked very hard to maintain
most service rates and fees at the FY12 level and to contain
overall increases in other service rates and fees.
MATLAB on Sale to All U of M Students
- All University of Minnesota students enrolled in at least
one credit are now eligible to purchase a one year MATLAB
New Vendor for Emergency Text Alerts
- The University of Minnesota has changed vendors for our
emergency text message alert system.
By The Numbers
Ten Years Ago in ITSS
infotechNews is published monthly
during the academic year by ITSS.
An email digest is sent to users subscribed
to infotech.announce, UMD.business.announce and
The goal is to distribute technology information useful to the
daily routines of the UMD campus community.
Comments or suggestions may be sent to