versions of articles read infotech.News
Technology news for UMD faculty, staff and students
- Active Learning Classrooms
- Active Learning Classrooms (ALCs) are designed to foster interactive,
flexible, student-centered learning experiences.
The University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus has invested
in them. The ITSS Classroom Team is constructing a "sandbox" prototype
with an eye toward implementing ALCs
ITSS Offers Logging Service
- ITSS has established a logging server that meets the
University policy on Enhanced Security for Computers and
Other Electronic Devices. We invite campus units running
servers to use this service in order to meet audit
ITSS Offers Virtual Server Solution to Campus Units
- ITSS has developed a robust infrastructure of virtual
server space, using virtual private server technology. This
service can assist units in meeting multiple requirements of
Technology Competencies Plan Updated
- The Technology Competencies Plan was updated this
semester with the help of Bruce Reeves, Amanda Evans, and the
EPC Subcommittee on Information Technology and the Library
Alternative Ways of Learning
- MOOCs (Massive Online Open Courseware) offer alternative
ways of learning.
- Google Apps Updates
- At the end of April there were 16,738 UMD accounts migrated into Google Apps. We are very near the end of the process.
Proposed Rates and Fees for 2012-2013
- We have worked very hard to maintain most service rates
at the FY12 level and to contain overall increases in other
service rates. ITSS is proposing to increase rates for our
billable labor services by approximately 2%.
Policy Update: Guidelines on Cloud Applications
- A new policy provides guidance to those instructors
considering the use of non-UMN applications and services, as
well as to those who are already using them.
By The Numbers
Ten Years Ago in ITSS
infotechNews is published monthly
during the academic year by ITSS.
An email digest is sent to users subscribed
to infotech.announce, UMD.business.announce and
The goal is to distribute technology information useful to the
daily routines of the UMD campus community.
Comments or suggestions may be sent to