versions of articles read infotech.News
Technology news for UMD faculty, staff and students
ITSS Supports Both Macs and Windows Computers
- We have heard a number of questions raised recently about
whether ITSS provides support for Macintosh computers. Yes, we
do! Many of us in ITSS use Macs, and our maintenance group is a
Certified Apple Repair Center.
TechCenter Offering New Delivery Service
- ITSS is now offering on site delivery and set up service for
computers that are routed through the TechCenter for set up or
repair. The service is available for a flat rate to on campus
Google Groups: Live October 1, 2012
- Google Groups, a tool for a team of users to quickly
collaborate with one another either via email, or any of Google's
various applications, is available with Google Apps for the
University of Minnesota.
Video and Moodle
- Video can take up a lot of space, but you want to use it with
your Moodle course. What to do? Use it with your Moodle
- This semester ITSS will be offering several accessibility
Assistive Technology Overview
- Assistive technology (AT) is technology that may be used by
people with a wide range of abilities and disabilities.
Active Learning Classrooms at UMD
- There has been a growing body of research for quite some time
that indicates "active learning" is a more effective way to move
students up the hierarchy of Bloom's Taxonomy and thus maximize
Student Computer Labs Moving to Virtual Workstations
- After a successful pilot in the Library this past spring,
ITSS staff plan to roll out virtual desktops to all basic access
student computer labs throughout fall semester 2012.
NESC Middle Mile Project Connects Remote Sites to UMD
- UMD has completed contracts with the Northeast Service
Cooperative (NESC) to participate in the NESC Middle Mile Fiber
Project, funded in 2009 by federal stimulus funds.
UB Retiring; Bulldog Continuing
- Because of the migration away from the hardware and Unix
variant UB was using, and because of its changing role, it was
decided to retire UB and utilize bulldog as its replacement.
PeopleSoft Outage: October 13-14
- Beginning Saturday, October 13 at 6 p.m. PeopleSoft Campus
Solutions (Student Admin and HRMS) and PeopleSoft Financials will
be unavailable for use due to a planned upgrade.
AD SCCM: Symantec Scans Changed to Monthly
- On September 13, ITSS staff adjusted the policy for UMD
Managed Symantec EndPoint (SEP) 11 clients to require a monthly
scan instead of a weekly scan.
AD SCCM: Out-of-band Microsoft Security Patch Released
- The Office of Information Technology (OIT) released an
out-of-band patch from Microsoft to fix an issue with Internet
Explorer which was already seeing exploits in the wild.
Policy Update: Video Captioning
- UMD has adopted this Policy on
Captioning of Video as well as provided a Captioning
- ITSS By
Years Ago in ITSS
infotechNews is published monthly
during the academic year by ITSS.
An email digest is sent to users subscribed
to infotech.announce, UMD.business.announce and
The goal is to distribute technology information useful to the
daily routines of the UMD campus community.
Comments or suggestions may be sent to