versions of articles read infotech.News
Technology news for UMD faculty, staff and students
Emergency Notification with TXT-U
- UMD uses multiple methods to alert students, faculty, and
staff about emergency situations.
Chat With ITSS Help Desk Staff
- In addition to phone (218/726-8847), email
(email@example.com) and walk-in (Kplz 165) support, the ITSS
Help Desk now has another method of delivering customer
At Your Service: The Multimedia Hub
- The Multimedia Hub offers an array of services. Let us
help you with your next project.
Broadcast Yourself at UMD: YouTube and Google Hangouts On
- YouTube will join the expanding list of available Google
Apps for the University of Minnesota beginning Friday, August
3. The addition of YouTube also enables the Google Hangouts
On Air broadcast feature.
Wireless Networking for UMD Housing
- ITSS has completed a two-and-a-half-year project to add
wireless networking services to UMD residence halls and
Mobile Web Pilot
- ITSS webmaster Andy Manteuffel and the Campus Web
Committee have completed a pilot project to make part of the
UMD web site more usable to mobile devices.
When Three LMSs Become One
- Last academic year, the UMN system had 3 centrally
supported Learning Management Systems. This academic year,
Moodle 2 is the only centrally supported system.
Payment Changes: Public Printing and Parking
- The current cash-to-card payment system used for printing
and parking services at UMD has will be updated during winter
Using ub? Switch to Bulldog!
- As previously announced, the system ub.d.umn.edu will be
decommissioned in September.
Beware of Phishing Attempts, Scams, and Job Offers in Your
- Email phishing attempts, try to fool you into providing
private information such as your Internet password, banking
information, or other information that might lead to identity
AD Policy: Timeout increased from 15 to 30 minutes
- On September 7, ITSS increased the time on the Active
Directory (AD) policy that forces Windows AD workstations to
a password-protected screen saver after a period of
inactivity. The inactivity interval was changed from 15
minutes to 30 minutes.
Technology Fall Update
- ITSS hosted a technology fall update on Monday, September 10.
Those of you who were unable to attend might want to check the
links in this article for information you may have missed.
- Please be aware of the new Policy
and Criteria for Mass Email to UMD Students from the
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Life.
ITSS Staff Update
- This past summer we welcomed four new staff to our
department and we said "thank you and best wishes" to four
former ITSS employees. We are pleased to introduce the
By The Numbers
Ten Years Ago in ITSS
infotechNews is published monthly
during the academic year by ITSS.
An email digest is sent to users subscribed
to infotech.announce, UMD.business.announce and
The goal is to distribute technology information useful to the
daily routines of the UMD campus community.
Comments or suggestions may be sent to