versions of articles read infotech.News
Technology news for UMD faculty, staff and students
DNSChanger Malware Reminder
- After July 9, 2012 computers infected with the DNSChanger
virus will no longer be able to resolve web-site names and will
appear to lose access to the Internet. If you haven't checked
your work and home computers for DNSchanger infections, now is
Fall 2012 Lab Software to Reflect Actual Course Use
- If you teach in a full access computer lab please check the
Fall 2012 Full Access Software list to ensure that the course
software that you use is listed. If the course software that you
use is not listed, please submit a software request form before
July 23, 2012.
Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.x, Symantec Client
Security 3.x Vendor Support Ended July 4
- To ensure that your anti-virus protection is up-to-date and
supported, you should update your antivirus to the current
version, Symantec EndPoint (version 12.1) on both your University
and personal computers.
AD Policy: Screen Saver
- On June 1, an Active Directory (AD) policy was implemented
that forces Windows AD workstations to a password-protected
screen saver after 15-minutes of inactivity. This setting was
part of the original QuickStart settings and is part of the
University-wide security policy.
AD SCCM: Java 6 Update 33
- An optional installer is available for users to upgrade their
AD SCCM: Flash, Quicktime Updates
- Flash and Quicktime updates are available on Active Directory
via System Center Configuration Manager services.
Keep everything. Share anything. Introducing Google Drive for
- Google Drive is the newest addition to the expanding list of
Google Apps available for the University of Minnesota.
- June 6 was #captionTHIS day. The goal was to raise awareness
of the need for captioning and to take action.
Ten Years Ago: Web Design Update Newsletter Began
- In July 2002 the first issue of the
Web Design Update Newsletter was published.
infotechNews is published monthly
during the academic year by ITSS.
An email digest is sent to users subscribed
to infotech.announce, UMD.business.announce and
The goal is to distribute technology information useful to the
daily routines of the UMD campus community.
Comments or suggestions may be sent to