versions of articles read infotech.News
Technology news for UMD faculty, staff and students
New Design for UMD Web Site
- ITSS, in collaboration with the Office of External Affairs
and the Campus Web Committee, is preparing for a new and
improved UMD web site. We encourage units to improve content
and avoid spending effort or funding on design until the campus
design becomes available.
Classroom Exams Taken Online in Moodle
- In nearly all cases classroom exams can be taken online in
Moodle without issue. The exceptions are most large lecture
- Self-Service Internet Password Reset
- Faculty and staff can now use the self-service online password reset system.
- Aleeha's Accessibility Story
- In the video, Aleeha's Accessibility Story, a
zoology major at Miami University who is blind and is studying
to be a veterinarian speaks to how new accessible technology
has impacted her life and gives some uplifting advice.
- Traditional web accessibility and its best practices are
influencing mobile design and can result in universality.
Chrome Extension May Help Improve Google Docs
- A new Read&Write extension for Google's Chrome browser
may be useful to some people with print disabilities,
especially those with learning disabilities (cognitive)
disorders. It may also be a tool for people that need a little
extra help with their writing.
The Latest Scam
- Recently an email scam circulated on campus which involved
Google Drive. It appeared to come from someone known to the
user, so it was tempting to respond.
Power Management for AD Computers
- System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) power management provides a set of tools and resources that we can use to manage and monitor the power consumption of computers on Active Directory.
Regional Network Improves
- UMD is an anchor tenant of the Northeast Service
Cooperative (NESC) ARRA Broadband Network.
- Being mindful of email etiquette is a courtesy, which can help tame everyone's in-box.
Policy Update: Secure Data Deletion and Secure Disposal of
- Properly dispose of computers and electronic devices that will no longer be
New Managers in ITSS
- ITSS hired Chuck Bosell and Kevin Wu as two new
- ITSS By
Years Ago in ITSS
infotechNews is published monthly
during the academic year by ITSS.
An email digest is sent to users subscribed
to infotech.announce, UMD.business.announce and
The goal is to distribute technology information useful to the
daily routines of the UMD campus community.
Comments or suggestions may be sent to