ITSS is currently developing a new service for the campus to provide enhanced support for Apple technologies using Casper Suite software. Casper is a comprehensive enterprise management solution for the Apple platform, including both OSX and iOS devices.
What Casper Suite Provides
- Deployment and provisioning
- Software and content distribution
- Compliance and security checking
- Inventory and reporting
- Self Service set up
Casper Suite Goals
Our primary goal with the Casper Suite is to securely manage Apple workstations on campus that store or access private, highly restricted data, as required by the new University security standards. We will be rolling this service out to appropriate units on campus during the next few months.
With the Casper Suite, we are also able to take full advantage of Apple's Device Enrollment Program (DEP) & Volume Purchase Program (VPP) services to manage devices, software, and eBooks.
- The Device Enrollment Program (DEP) from Apple is designed to enable schools to seamlessly set up and provision new iPad or Mac computers. DEP and Casper Suite add zero-touch device configuration, automatic app deployment, and a simplified setup experience.
- The Volume Purchase Program (VPP) from Apple is a service designed to provide cost savings for schools that purchase education apps and iBooks for their teachers and students to use on iPads or Mac computers in the digital classroom. VPP and the Casper Suite together simplify the process of purchasing software and deploying it to teachers and students.
ITSS is currently piloting several projects across campus using the Casper suite:
- Keeping Mac workstations in a student-run organization secure and uniform
- Deploying security patches and system updates to ITSS staff workstations
- Managing and securing iPads for electronic student time sheet entry in the new MyU portal
- Deploying iPads and course-related apps to students in an Education course
If you are interested in learning more about Casper and the possibilities it offers, please contact the ITSS Help Desk (x8847, email@example.com).