ITSS Managed Database Service
ITSS offers complete packages of hardware, database software, database administration and system administration in support of your data needs. Projects and services are initiated by customer request and are scheduled based upon ITSS staff availability, project priority and project development time.
Models of low cost managed database services include:
- MySQL database service - fast, reliable, easy to use, and suitable for simple database needs
- PostgreSQL database service - capable of handling transaction processing
These service offerings are available for campus departments and groups with simple database needs, transaction-processing applications, or to house the database of dynamic web sites. These databases and web sites are generally self-supported by the customer; however, the customer may contract for assistance from ITSS staff on a chargeback basis for time. These services are appropriate for projects that have no restricted, private, or HIPPA data, modest storage requirements, and no complex database design issues. These services provide customers with their own:
The managed database service will reduce the burden of database administration work for users and provide control within a supported technical environment. ITSS costs are kept low by using automated processes and sharing the infrastructure with other SQL instances.
A department faculty member or administrator is required to sponsor the computer account for managed database services.
The managed database service provided by ITSS includes:
- Dedicated instance running on a shared database host
- 128 GB of disk space for all instance space needs - data, backups, logs
- Instance-up monitoring
- ITSS staff will maintain current level security patches for the database machine and database software, and to resolve any hardware or database server software faults
- Database host machine housed in the ITSS datacenter
- Native client access, along with some form of a web/GUI application, will be provided for administration of the database
- ITSS staff will provide support for a number of management tasks, such as backups, restoring a backup, performance and maintenance history data, and other DBA functions
- Host-based firewall to limit network traffic to your instance to datacenter subnets only
Service guidelines for all managed databases include:
- All University employees and community members must comply with the University Administrative Policy "Securing Private Data, Computers, and Other Electronic Devices" and they must take appropriate steps to secure any private data they create, possess, or have access to in connection with their University employment, education, or research. This obligation includes maintaining electronic private data only on University computer systems and electronic devices and securing those computers and devices as required by policy. This University policy may be referenced at: http://www.policy.umn.edu/Policies/it/Use/SECUREDATA.html
- There is no direct “ssh” or root access/login to the SQL host or backup machines.
- Periodic upgrades of the SQL server software will be necessary, and in particular, security patches will be a very high priority applied within two days of the recommended patch release.
- The host machine quotas on memory, disk, and CPU are monitored and tracked. Please remember this is a shared resource.
- To help guarantee resources to each basic SQL instance, certain important resource settings are pre-set and need to remain unchanged.
For more information
For more information on the managed database services or other development support services offered by the ITSS, please contact either the ITSS TechCenter Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org, or the ITSS Enterprise Team at email@example.com.