General Usability Checklist
Architecture and navigation
- Can you tell where you are in the site?
- Can you tell where you can go in the site?
- Is there a reasonable number of navigation choices?
- Do link names match page names?
- Do all link
phrases make sense when read out of context? No links with the dreaded
"click here" or "more" used as text.
- Is there a link back to the home page?
- Do all links lead to the proper destination? No broken links or
- Is there an option to search for information?
Layout and design
- Does the site have a consistent, clearly recognizable "look-&-feel"?
- Does the page fit the window size horizontally. No horizontal scrolling.
- If graphics are used, do they enhance content or lead to a better understanding
of the information being presented?
- Is the layout uncluttered?
- Is there good color contrast?
- Is there a clean background? Not busy or distracting.
Content and readability
- Is the inverted pyramid writing style used, starting
with the conclusion? Is important content close to the
top of the page?
- Is language used in a way that is familiar to and
comfortable for its readers?
- Is the text clear and concise?
- Is the text legible?
- Are key concepts emphasized?
- Is text broken up for easy scanning using headlines,
bullets, lists and frequent paragraph breaks?
- Is the site free from typos, spelling or grammar
Required University of Minnesota common elements
- Towards the top of the page are the words "University of Minnesota Duluth"
- Does the University of Minnesota Duluth logo appear on each page and
is it linked to the UMD home page?
- Does an equal opportunity statement ("The University of Minnesota
is an equal opportunity educator and employer.") appear on each page?
- Does the date of last revision and the name of the responsible publisher
or information provider, including contact information appear on each
- Does copyright information (e.g., © 2014 Regents of the
University of Minnesota) if the pages and/or the content featured
on the pages are the property of the University of Minnesota
appear on each page?
- Does a link to the University's privacy
statement appear on each page?
Forms and interaction.
- Do forms support the task?
- Do dialogues follow logical progression?
- Is it clear where to go next?
- Is there a clear Submit button?
- Has the Reset or Cancel button been removed? They are usually