- Why do you need a redesign?
Before you write the first bit of HTML you should know that answer.
- Don't just redesign for redesign's sake.
- What are the goals of redesigning? You can't really identify what the problems are with your existing site until you know what you're trying to accomplish.
- Usability testing the old site should be the first step in any
- Identify what the strengths and weaknesses are of your current site, try to keep the strengths, but fix the weaknesses.
- Jacob Nielson has said:
- "The old design is probably not all that bad: it certainly has some elements that users really love and it would be a shame to lose good features in the move to a new design."
- "It is not enough to simply say 'this site sucks': you need to know why it is bad. The chance of a successful new design goes up dramatically once you know what to avoid and why users have trouble on your old site."
- "The main reason to conduct a usability test of your old site is to set approriate goals and direction for the new design." (see the handout for more details.)
- See these basis Usability Testing prodecures.