You are here
Sustainability Leadership Emphasis
Participate in 125 service hours concentrated in sustainability (campus clean-ups, trash talking, or any community events and other volunteering related to sustainability, not just campus issues!)
Training for participating students—both at the beginning of the school year and throughout the year— will help build capacity on sustainability issues
Examples of Activities:
- Train a core group of students as environmental educators and activists
- Increase overall student awareness of environmental actions
- Promote environmental stewardship within the student body.
- Composting and recycling training
- Waste reduction talks
- Presentations at floor meetings
- Trash audits
- Energy audits for off-campus students
- Tours for students, classes and prospective students on sustainability
- Tabling and awareness on energy, waste, water, etc.
- Event organizing
- Beach sweeps(September)
- Include social justice aspect? Social Sustainability
- Potential partnerships with the Multicultural Center
- Choose specific/personal initiatives (ie: Real Food Challenge, composting in residence halls)
- Ways to respond rather than react to deniers?
- Cooking classes/ “Sustainable Supper”
- Low waste residence hall living tricks?
- Upcycling events/DIY/MAke and Take
- Maybe on campus reuse or trips to MRC
- Sustainable Supper
- Potential for working with students who live off campus to bring energy kits and pizza program
Optional activities include things such as websites and media outreach as well as event promotion.
- Additional 125 hours of service
- Document 20 hours of workshops on leadership topics of your choice within your field of study
- Document courses in your field with leadership content. See our list of pre-approved courses (this is a partial list of courses you may use).
- Complete the Leadership Capstone (Register by Oct 1st for Fall Session, or Feb 1st for Spring Session)