The Northern Bible Society

Duluth's own Northern Bible Society was founded in 1918 by the Rev. Henry Ramseyer, who began the Collection which bears his name and which is now held by the Library. An account of his life and work can be found in the first display case to the left. In 1932, the Northern Bible Society constructed the Bible House, which still stands on West Superior Street beside the Mesaba Avenue overpass, and which was saved from demolition at the time when construction of the overpass was being done, by its history and importance to the City of Duluth. The Bible Collection was housed there until 1979 when it was donated to the care of the Library. 

The Northern Bible Society still goes on with the work of support of distribution of the Scriptures by maintaining a Wycliffe Bible Translators team in northern Mexico, and by supporting many religious causes in this area. They also support the continuing expansion of the Bible Collection at UMD, and are at present giving assistance to the Library in developing various electronic means of displaying or disseminating information about the Collection, which is helping to train the Library staff in applying the same  techniques to all Library operations.

[click thumbnail for large view]

Circular picture of book 
The New Testament produced for the Northern Bible Society, 1943, for distribution to World War II servicemen. #422
Black book cover Page with text
Bible printed by the Oxford University Press for the Northern Bible Society, 1942. #1046
Page with text  
A scrapbook showing
an article about the
Northern Bible Society, Feb 21, 1932
Pen Illustration 
Re print/enlargement from the Duluth News-Tribune Cosmopolitan Section, July 31, 1938.  "The Pictures:  1.  Miss Pauline Ramseyer assists her father in his work at the Bible House.  She is reading a rare scroll here.  2.  The Rev. Henry E. Ramseyer, secretary of the Northern Bible Society, has made a special collection of Bibles of almost every race and nationality.  He is shown here inspecting an ancient scroll housed in a miniature chapel."

Back to Top

Back to Displays

Ramseyer Home