Reference Librarians are available to assist you to:
- Find information needed for research, study, or personal use
- Locate journal articles
- Select databases and indexes for your research
- Formulate research strategies
- Refine research topics
- Answer specific informational questions
- Search the library catalog
- Effectively search the Internet
- Identify library subject specialists when needed
The library's email reference service is best used for getting answers to brief, factual questions; questions about which resources are best to use; and /or questions about UMD. This service is available to UMD students, faculty, staff, Northeast Minnesota residents, and those requesting information unique to UMD. You will get a response within 24 hours during normal working days, usually sooner.
Available the same hours as the Research & Information Desk
Research & Information Desk,
The reference area contains a service desk staffed by librarians and an extensive reference collection. Computer workstations are available for users to obtain assistance using the library catalog, indexes and databases, and accessing other Internet resources. See Research & Information desk hours.
Librarians at the Research & Information Desk will answer questions regarding library resources. Call 218-726-8100. See Telephone Reference hours.
Subject specific reference librarians provide research consultations by appointment for UMD students, faculty and staff. View the list of subject specialists here.
Reference librarians are available to assist with and support classroom instruction. Assistance with your classroom instruction can come in many forms to meet your needs:
- In-depth classroom instruction focusing on research strategies and resources for specific assignments
- In-class research help
- In-office consultations with students
- Online research guides for specific courses or assignments
- Online assistance to students via Moodle
- Online tutorials for specific courses or assignments
- Librarian collaboration on research assignment design
For more information about Reference Services, contact:
Tom Ambrosi, Head of Reference Services