Research and Learning Services
Reference Librarians are available to assist you to:
- Find information needed for research, study, or personal use
- Locate journal articles and select databases and indexes for your research
- Formulate research strategies & refine research topics
- Answer specific informational questions
- Search the library catalog
- Effectively search the Internet
- Identify library subject specialists when needed
Personal Librarian Program
Every UMD Student have a Personal Librarian for their major and minor. Students can take advantage of personalized research and training specific to their study, all with the help of our friendly research professionals.
AskUS Research Services
Students, staff, faculty and community members are able to work with a research librarian in a variety of ways. You can get answers and resources via email, text, chat, phone and in-person visits. We also take appointments!
Research & Information Office Hours, 2nd Floor
Throughout the school year and summer months, the Library offers drop-in research service in our 2nd floor offices. Use the signs to find the on-duty librarian on our 2nd floor, or speak with the 1st floor circulation desk for directions. Check our hours to find a time convenient to you.
Subject specific reference librarians provide research consultations by appointment for UMD students, faculty and staff. View the list of subject specialists here to schedule an appointment.
Reference librarians are available to assist with and support classroom instruction. Assistance with your classroom instruction can come in many forms to meet your needs:
- In-depth classroom instruction focusing on research strategies and resources for specific assignments
- In-class research help
- In-office consultations with students
- Online research guides for specific courses or assignments
- Online assistance to students via Moodle
- Online tutorials for specific courses or assignments
- Librarian collaboration on research assignment design
For more information about Research and Learning Services, contact:
Thomas Ambrosi, Head of Research and Learning Services