RefWorks Import Directions
Popup Blocker Problem
If a pop-up blocker is on, citations will not import into Refworks. Often below the browser tool bar, a message will appear, "pop-up blocked."
To Allow Popups:
Google Chrome instructions for pop-up blockers.
To see blocked pop-ups for a site, follow the steps listed below:
- If pop-ups have been blocked, you'll see the icon in the address bar. Click the icon to see a list of the blocked pop-ups.
- Click the link for the pop-up window that you'd like to see.
- To always see pop-ups for the site, select "Always show pop-ups from [site]." The site will be added to the exceptions list, which you can manage in the Content Settings dialog.
To manually allow pop-ups from a site, follow the steps below:
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- in the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button.
- In the "Pop-ups" section, click Manage exceptions.
Mozilla Firefox instructions for pop-up blockers.
- Mozilla Firefox will show "Firefox prevented this site from opening a popup window," click on Options.
- Chose Allow popups for url or Edit Popup blockers Options.
Manually, edit pop-up blocker settings
- At the top of the Firefox, click on Tools and then on Options.
- Select the Content icon and at Block pop-up windows, click Exceptions.
- At Allowed Sites - Pop-ups, type in the address of web site (e.q., firstsearch.oclc.org), you want to display pop-ups.
- Click on Allow.
Internet Explorer's instructions for pop-up blockers.
- If a blocked pop-up window appears, click on Always Allow Pop-ups from This site.
- Click on Yes.
Or, manually, edit pop-up blocker settings
- At the top of Internet Explorer, click on Tools, and select Pop-up blocker and then Pop-up Blocker settings.
- Under Exceptions, look for "Address of website to allow" box, type in url (e.g. refworks.com) and click on Add.
- Click on Close.
Safari's instructions for pop-up blockers.
Safari does not work well with RefWorks. If you can't get your citations to load, try another browser.
For more information contact:
Martha Eberhart - Reference Librarian
Page Updated: April, 2013< Back
Back to top