The mission of the Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering program is to deliver a hands-on, laboratory-intensive undergraduate education to provide students with the tools and skills to excel in the profession, as they pursue life-long learning and make positive contributions to society. With an emphasis on integrated systems and a strategic partnership with Luleň University of Technology in Sweden, the BSIE program will offer unique opportunities for study abroad, undergraduate research, and technical electives to develop an enhanced global perspective.
Strengths of the BSIE Program
- Two tracks - Track system that provides students with an opportunity to specialize in Industrial and Systems Engineering or International Engineering.
- Strong commitment to undergraduate education - Class sizes and laboratory sections are small (typically less than 25), and the vast majority of lectures and lab sections are taught by our dedicated, award winning faculty.
- Manufacturing emphasis - Many courses and laboratories focus on the design, operation, and management of manufacturing systems, and most faculty members have manufacturing industry experience.
- Laboratory intensive - Many courses have a hands-on laboratory component where students get practical experience with a wide variety of industry-grade equipment and software tools in our excellent facilities.
- Accreditation - The BSIE program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012 telephone: (410) 347-7700. ABET National Website
BSIE Educational ObjectivesThe BSIE program will produce graduates who are able to:
- Solve industrial engineering problems by applying contemporary engineering tools to propose and implement effective solutions.
- Design, develop, implement and improve integrated systems that include people, materials, information, equipment, and energy.
- Contribute as informed, ethical, and responsible members of the engineering profession and society as a whole.
- Continue lifelong professional development throughout their career.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with others as a member or leader of an engineering or multidisciplinary team in an international setting.
BSIE Program Outcomes
Industrial Engineering graduates will have:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering appropriate to an industrial engineer
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data, and report findings
- An ability to design, develop, implement and improve integrated systems that include people, materials, information, equipment, and energy
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve industrial engineering problems
- An understanding of the professional and ethical responsibilities of an industrial engineer
- An ability to communicate effectively, including oral, written and visual forms
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of industrial engineering solutions in a global and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and the ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary industrial engineering issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for industrial engineering practice
- A working knowledge of manufacturing processes and systems