The College of Science and Engineering at the University of Minnesota Duluth recently honored five alumni and friends of UMD with induction into the inaugural UMD Academy of Science and Engineering.
The Academy of Science and Engineering has been established to give public recognition to "distinguished alumni and special friends of the College of Science and Engineering, who have brought distinction to themselves through their participation, commitment, and leadership in their chosen profession."
Those honored were:
Dr. Jerome Klun - Bachelor of Arts - Biology--UMD 1961
During thirty-seven years of entomological research, Dr. Klun has conducted outstanding research on the chemical nature of host-plant insect resistance in corn and made classic discoveries in the field of insect chemistry and behavior that have had significant impact on agriculture, science and technology. Dr. Klun graduated from UMD in 1961 with a bachelor of arts in Biology. He was awarded the Ph.D. in Entomology by Iowa State University in 1965. Dr. Klun is the author of 114 peer reviewed scientific publications and five patents and is recognized internationally in his field. Dr. Klun and his wife Harriet live in Potomac, Maryland.
Dr. Casmir Ilenda - Bachelor of Arts - Chemistry--UMD 1969
Dr. Ilenda grew up in Proctor Minnesota. He was the co-author of two publications at UMD while performing undergraduate research with Professor Ronald Caple. Casmir was the recipient of a NSF graduate fellowship his senior year that enabled him to obtain his Ph.D. in organic chemistry at the University of Colorado. As a senior scientist with Rohm and Haas he has been involved with many of their successful endeavors, from plastics to fiberoptic lighting systems. This work has lead to 14 patents. In 1991 Dr. Ilenda was awarded the "Otto Haas Award of Scientific Achievement" by his company. Dr. Ilenda and his wife Beverly live in Holland, Pennsylvania.
Mr. William E. Crain - Bachelor of Arts - Geology--UMD 1955
William E. Crain, a Duluth native, graduated from UMD with a bachelor's degree in business and economics in 1953, and a BS in geology in 1955. He also received an MS in geology from the University of Minnesota. He joined Chevron in 1957 as an exploration geologist, and retired in 1994 as director and vice president of Chevron Exploration. Bill has always been committed to earth science education. He received the University of San Francisco Medallion Award and the American Geological Institute's (AGI) Explorer award, both of which pertain to Earth Science education. In 2002, he and the late Bob Heller received the AGI's William B. Heroy Jr., Award for distinguished service: together they generated the vision and support of AGI's inquiry-based, secondary school Earth Science curricula. Mr. Crain currently lives in Danville, California with his wife, Jean.
Mr. David L. Karpeles - Bachelor of Arts - Mathematics--UMD 1956
David Karpeles graduated from UMD in 1956 with a BA degree in mathematics. While working as a mathematician he continued his graduate studies in mathematics. His interests eventually turned full-time to a successful real estate investment business in southern California. In 1981 David received an award from California Governor Edmund G. Brown, Jr. for developing a plan for providing affordable housing in California. David (with his wife Marsha) began collecting historical documents in 1978 and established the Karpeles Manuscript Library in 1983, which today preserves the largest private collection of original manuscripts in the world. The Karpeles Library in Duluth is one of seven in the US. David Karpeles is author of 60 historical monographs relating to the Library's holdings. David and Marsha Karpeles live in Santa Barbara, California.
Dr. Howard Hanson
Professor Hanson helped found the UMD Department of Physics, arriving at UMD in 1947 with three other new faculty. When the position of head was created in 1951 he filled it and remained in that position until 1984, just before his retirement from the faculty in 1985. Dr. Hanson received his bachelor degree from St. Cloud State and his Ph.D. from UW-Madison. While a faculty member, Professor Hanson was active in both the American and the Minnesota Area Associations of Physics Teachers. As Department Head he was instrumental in leading the department to its present size, including the addition of the graduate program and increased emphasis on research, without taking away from the undergraduate teaching mission. Howard and Agnes Hanson live in Duluth, Minnesota.