October 21, 2004
Susan Beasy Latto, Director of UMD Public Relations 218 726-8830 email@example.com
Bruce Gildseth, Vice Chancellor for Academic Support and Student Life 218 726-88501 firstname.lastname@example.org
Susana Pelayo-Woodward, Director, Hispanic/Latino/Chicana Learning Resource Center 218-726-8444 email@example.com
UMD to Open New Multicultural Center
Public is Cordially Invited
The University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) will officially open its spacious, new Multicultural Center with an Open House celebration set for October 26 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the 2nd floor of the Kirby Student Center. The event is free, and the public is cordially invited.
"The aim of the Center is to build a strong, inclusive environment in which people from all backgrounds can accept, respect, and support one another," said Bruce Gildseth, UMD Vice Chancellor for Academic Support and Student Life. "The enhanced environment is designed to assist in promoting, recruiting, and retaining a diverse student body."
Multicultural Center facilities include meeting rooms, student organization offices, multimedia and graphics rooms, and a student lounge. The Center occupies the entire 2nd floor of the Kirby Student Center. The area was formerly the cafeteria and kitchens, which are now located in the new Kirby Plaza.
UMD Student Organizations housed in the Multicultural Center include:
- Access for All (KSC 270 D)
- Asian Pacific American Association (KSC 270 J)
- Black Student Association (KSC 270 H)
- International Club (KSC 270 F)
- Latino/Chicana Student Association (KSC 270 G)
- Queer Student Union (KSC 270 F)
- Women's Resource and Action Center (KSC 266)
- SERVE (Students Engaged Rewarding Volunteer Experiences) (KSC 270 A)
Professional Offices located adjacent to the Multicultural Center include:
- Asian Pacific/Islander Learning Resource Center
- African American Learning Resource Center
- Disability Services and Resources
- Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Services
- Hispanic/Latino/Chicana Learning Resource Center
- International Student Services
Mission and Goal Statement:
The mission of the UMD Multicultural Center is to enhance academic achievement, create a sense of belonging, celebrate diversity, and foster positive relations among UMD students, faculty and staff. This will be accomplished by:
- Providing a forum for communication, discussion and understanding of educational, political, social and cultural issues of concern to the students served at the Multicultural Center.
- Supporting programs and activities that promote appreciation and awareness for a truly multicultural and inclusive community.
- Providing support for and advising student organizations
- Serving as a catalyst for change and support of the University's effort to achieve pluralism.
- Providing personal and academic support, advising, and disability accommodations.
The Multicultural Center staff and student organizations collaborate with the Kirby Student Center staff, other student organizations, and campus groups to develop a number of lectures, discussions, films, receptions and cultural celebrations throughout the year.
The following resources are available in the Multicultural Center:
- Monthly cultural events
- Calendar of sponsored cultural events
- Periodicals, newsletters and films
- Bilingual periodicals, newsletters and films
- Listing of employment/internship opportunities