Changing your major, college, or adding a second undergraduate degree program
Change of College within the UMD campus
(LSBE, CEHSP, CLA, SFA, or SCSE)
- In order to register as a student in your new major, plan to submit forms to the collegiate unit that offers the new major.
- Processing time: It may take one-to-two weeks for an Application for Undergraduate Change of College (UMD campus) to be fully processed, depending on the time of the semester. If you are considering a change and want to register as a student in your new major, plan to submit forms to the collegiate unit that offers the new major at least two weeks prior to your scheduled registration time for the next semester.
- Submit these two forms to the advising and academic services office of the collegiate unit you wish to transfer to:
- Application for Undergraduate Change of College (UMD campus)
- Copy of your "Planned APAS" report from Grad Planner
To confirm processing of your application, view your enrollment Summary. Once your application has been processed, you may register for the requested term to activate the application.
Change of College to a different campus in the University of Minnesota system
- Complete the Application for Undergraduate Change of College (other University of Minnesota campuses).
- Attach a "Planned APAS" report from Grad Planner.
- Return completed forms to the advising and academic services office of the college to which you are applying.
- Preferred deadline is the first day of the registration appointment (queue) each semester (see schedule). Allow 2 weeks for decision and processing before your registration date.
Change or Declare Major or Minor
Forms are available at each college's advising and academic services office and at some departmental offices. Some require a copy of your "Planned APAS" report from Grad Planner. For more information contact the college's advising and academic services office.
- CEHSP - 120 Bohannon Hall, 726-7156
- CLA - 310 Kirby Plaza, 726-8180
- LSBE - 111A LSBE Building, 726-6594
- SCSE - 140 Engineering, 726-7585
- SFA - Visit your department office (Art & Design: 317 Humanities; Music: 231 Humanities; Theatre: 141 MPAC) or the School of Fine Arts main office (120 Montague), 726-8312
Add a second major in another college
Some colleges and programs allow you to complete one of their majors while you are admitted into another UMD college. Contact an adviser in the prospective major for more information.
Dual Undergraduate Degrees
If you are pursuing more than one degree (i.e., B.A. and B.S.), and the second degree is in a different collegiate unit than the first, you will need to complete the Application for Admission to Additional Undergraduate Degree Program form, and submit it to the collegiate unit offering the second degree.