Skip to main content


An incomplete grade appears on your transcript as an 'I.'

When incomplete grades may be assigned

According to University policy, an 'I' grade "will be assigned at the discretion of the instructor when, due to extraordinary circumstances (as determined by the instructor), the student who has successfully completed a substantial portion of the course's work with a passing grade was prevented from completing the work of the course on time."

Incomplete grades require a contract

If an instructor agrees to give you an incomplete, both of you must sign a written agreement that specifies what work you will complete and the completion date. The period of time allowed by the contract may not be longer than one year.

For undergraduates, an 'I' will lapse to an 'F' or 'N'

After one year from the last day of final exams of the term you received the 'I,' it will automatically change to an 'F' or 'N,' depending on your grade basis.

With the permission of the instructor, the incomplete can be made up even after it has lapsed to an 'F' (or 'N').

For graduate and professional students

For graduate and professional students, an 'I' remains on the transcript until changed by the instructor or department.

Read the grading policy for complete details

For more about incompletes, when they may be granted, and exceptions to the general guidelines listed above, read the University's Grading and Transcripts policy.