Skip to main content

Quick Links

Self service

Prerequisites & Schedule Conflicts

When selecting classes, choose classes that:

  • fit into your schedule
  • are appropriate for your academic level
  • count toward your academic goals


In order to enroll in some courses, you must either complete or concurrently register for certain other courses or possess some particular qualifications or class standing. These courses are known as prerequisites. You will find them listed inside the parentheses after the course titles. If none are listed, the course has no prerequisites, with one exception: the class standing requirement. You are required to have the class standing indicated by the course number.

If you attempt to register for courses in which you have not met the prerequisites required, you may need to obtain a class permission number from the appropriate instructor, department, and/or college.


When courses that must be taken in sequence are prerequisites, only the last course of the sequence is listed. When no course designator precedes the course number listed as a prerequisite (e.g., "prereq 3221"), that course is in the same department as the course being offered. Likewise, a prerequisite reading "6 cr" means 6 credits in courses offered by the same department. A comma always means "and."


Work equivalent to a prerequisite course (having either the same content or requiring the same competence) is ordinarily accepted in place of that prerequisite. An instructor may, in some instances, waive prerequisites at her or his discretion. See your college for further information.

Departments and colleges may use the registration system to help place certain categories of qualified students into courses or sections on a priority basis (seniors, majors, for example). If you meet all stated prerequisites for the course, including class standing, you may also need to meet other qualifications established at the time of registration.

Class time conflicts

You may not register for classes that overlap or have less that one minute separation without submitting a Class Time Conflict Approval (PDF download) form signed by the instructors of both clssses.

Attendance at another campus

A consortium agreement exists among the four campuses of the University of Minnesota for purposes of allowing students to attend another campus. Under this agreement you are allowed to attend another campus for one term during an academic year without losing your status or jeopardizing your eligibility for financial aid programs at your home campus.

Multi-institutional students fall into two categories:

  1. Students who are registered on two campuses for one term. (For example, you are registered on your home campus, but want to take a distance learning course from another University of Minnesota campus.)
  2. Student who want to register at another University of Minnesota campus instead of their home campus. (For example, you want to take courses not offered on your home campus.)

If you are a UMD student who is interested in applying to attend another University of Minnesota campus, you should complete the Application for Attending Another University of Minnesota Campus as a Multi-Institutional Student and submit it to a One Stop Student Services Center.