Skip to main content


Residency & Reciprocity Information

A student that is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (green card), is considered a Minnesota resident if:

  • The student has lived in Minnesota for at least one calendar year prior to the first day of their class attendance, and
  • The student's primary reason for being in Minnesota is not to attend school.

An out-of-state history, including transfer coursework, graduation from a non-Minnesota high school, and out-of-state work experience, may result in an initial classification of nonresident.

If there is uncertainty on whether the student is considered a Minnesota resident, or if the student believes that their residency has been inappropriately classified, they can:

Reciprocity programs

The University has reciprocity agreements with the states of Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, and the province of Manitoba, Canada. If you are a resident of any of these states or province, you may qualify for resident tuition rates with approved reciprocity.

Some exceptions are:

  • If you are participating in off-campus study or study abroad for an academic year or more, you must reapply for reciprocity.
  • If you are a student fom Wisconsin enrolled in Medical School you are not eligible for reciprocity.
  • If summer session is your first registration at the University, you need to reapply for the next academic year.

To receive reciprocity

Graduate and undergraduate students must apply for reciprocity prior to the term in which they plan to register. The student will receive an approval letter from their home state when their reciprocity application has been approved. After their first year, their reciprocity will automatically be renewed, provided they have earned credits on campus. Delays in reciprocity eligibility will not exempt a student from additional billing charges.

The student's home state will notify the University when the reciprocity agreement has been approved. If a student's billing statement does not reflect reciprocity tuition, the student must bring the approval letter to One Stop Student Services to obtain an adjusted registration statement.

Reciprocity rate charts

North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin

If you are a student from North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wisconsin, you are charged resident rates.


Beginning fall 2012, if you are a new student from Manitoba enrolling in professional programs with the Medical School and the College of Pharmacy you will be charged non-resident rates.

If you will be enrolled in one of these programs prior to fall 2012, you will continue to be charged resident rates through the completion of your studies. If you are from Manitoba and enrolling in any other program, you are charged resident rates.

Apply for reciprocity