Skip to main content


Military Leave - Activation Procedures

If you are called to active duty during the semester, you must present military orders to the Veterans Resource Center coordinator who will assist with whatever needs to be taken care of. Processing may take several business days. If financial aid is involved, ask the coordinator to determine how your financial aid will be affected. You are responsible for contacting your lender(s) regarding loan repayment options.

Active Military Duty Cancellation Policy

I. Policy

Under current University policy, students who are serving in Reserve or National Guard units who are called to active military duty may be able to withdraw from classes with a full refund of tuition. Students receiving financial aid will be subject to refund policies as provided for by the agencies sponsoring the aid.

The Veterans Resource Center will also review the request for tuition reimbursement to avoid financial aid implications. In some circumstances students may want to ask their instructors about incompletes for coursework, as an alternative to canceling, when he or she is receiving financial aid.

When appropriate, instructors may prefer to make arrangements for the students to take an incomplete for the courses in question. UMD policy requires an incomplete be made up within one calendar year of the end of the term in which the incomplete is given. When students are called to active military duty, and reach agreement with their instructor(s) to take an incomplete, they will have up to one calendar year following their discharge from active duty to complete any incompletes.

1a. Effective fall 2014 when a student has a spouse who is deployed and they have one or more dependents and the student seeks to withdraw from classes, the student will receive a full tuition refund after following the same military withdraw procedure as a student who is deployed to active duty.

II. Procedure

As a general rule, students will be eligible for a full refund of tuition and fees and the balance of unused UMD housing and food charges at the time of withdrawal. Students may also be eligible for refunds of student health insurance.

Students must provide the Veterans Resource Center with a copy of their military orders and a petition to withdraw. If the student is required by the military to leave immediately, a family member may submit a copy of the orders and the petition.

Students receiving veterans benefits must notify both the Veterans Resource Center and the Veterans Administration (VA) if they plan to withdraw from course(s). The Veterans Resource Center will report to the VA the last day of attendance for all withdrawals that affect training time status.

Students living in UMD housing must provide a copy of the military orders to the Housing Office, 149 Lake Superior Hall, and complete a Contract Release form. Students' accounts will be credited the balance of unused UMD room and board charges at the time of withdrawal.

Textbooks may be returned to the UMD Stores for credit. Students will need to present their UMD Stores receipt, a photo ID, and their military orders at the service counter to receive a refund. Books that were purchased as new and have been written in or highlighted will be returned as used.