Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30)
You may qualify for these benefits if you
- entered active duty for the first time on or after July 1, 1985,
- participated in the pay reduction program (pay reduced by $100 per month for the first 12 months), and
- served honorably for at least two years.
You will receive a stipend for personal use for up to 36 months if you are a full-time student and completed an enlistment of three years or more. Benefit rates for part-time enrollment are reduced proportionately. Visit the United States Department of Veterans Affairs for complete information on current rates.
Benefits, generally, must be used within 10 years; however, the time limit may be shorter or longer in rare circumstances.
Documentation required for Chapter 30
Please submit completed forms or document copies to the Veterans Resource Center, according to your circumstances.
If you have never applied for benefits, submit:
- Application for VA Benefits (22-1990)
- Discharge from Active Duty (DD214)
- Veterans Enrollment Certificate
If you have had a one-year break in attendance at UMD, or if you used your benefit at another institution, submit:
If you received your benefit at UMD within the last year, submit: