Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
You may qualify for these benefits if you
- are a Reservist or National Guard member who signed a six-year obligation on or after July 1, 1985,
- completed initial active duty training, and
- are in good standing with your drilling Selected Reserve unit.
You will receive a monthly stipend for personal use for up to 36 months if you are a full-time student. Your benefit will be reduced proportionately for part-time enrollment. Visit the United States Department of Veterans Affairs for complete information on current rates.
The Department of Defense may make additional contributions, or kickers, on your behalf if you are an individual who served in a critical military field. Contact your unit to find out if you qualify for the kicker.
Your benefits must be used while actively drilling with a National Guard/Reserve unit. Once you leave the National Guard/Reserves, your education benefit ends.
Documentation required for Chapter 1606
Please submit completed forms or document copies to the Veterans Resource Center, according to your circumstances.
If you have never applied for benefits, submit:
- Application for VA Benefits (22-1990)
- Discharge from Active Duty (DD214)
- Veterans Enrollment Certificate
If you have had a one-year break in attendance at UMD, or if you used your benefit at another institution, submit:
If you received your benefit at UMD within the last year, submit: