NOTE: The application process is now online rather than paper-based. Here are some details of what the UMD Physics Department needs.
- Start your application by following this link.
- The University of Minnesota has several campuses. In the second online form, "Application Information", be sure to select the "Physics - Duluth - MS" program at the Duluth campus, as shown in this screenshot.
- Part of the online application asks you for contact information for three people to write you letters of reference: they'll get an email from the system with instructions for how to upload their letters
- The "Graduate Program Supplementary Information" section has five
things one could upload:
- Graduate Program Additional Application
- Writing Sample
- Description of Research or Work Experience
- Resumé or CV
- Other Information
The UMD Physics MS does not require an additional application for an assistantship (item #1); just be sure to indicate that you are applying for one in the "Financial Support" section of the application. Item #2 is optional, but if you have a physics paper you wish to share with the adimissions committee, this is the place to include it. Items #3 and #4 are required, and #5 is optional. For further information on Graduate School policies and procedures, visit the UMD Graduate School Office Home Page.
Questions regarding details of UMD's Physics M.S. program can be sent to the Director of Graduate Studies:
Prof. Rik Gran, DGS
Physics Dept., 371 MWAH
University of Minnesota - Duluth
1023 University Dr.
Duluth, MN 55812 USA
Graduate School deadlines for admission applications are:
July 15 for Fall Semester. However, please note that for full consideration for assistantship support applications should arrive by March 1.
November 1 for Spring Semester. Most assistanship awards are made for the usual academic year, September - May. Only occasionally are assistantship opening available beginning in spring semester.