This page is designed for accessibility. Content is obtainable and functional to any browser or Internet device. This page's full visual experience is available in a graphical browser that supports web standards. Please consider upgrading your web browser.

University of Minnesota Duluth
| Email | Search | People | Departments | Events | News |

The Department of Psychology

The College of Education & Human Service Professions


Step 2. Pre-Advisement Orientation

Now that you have completed Step 1, which includes:

Please read through the information below to learn about some of UMD's policies and procedures:

About orientation, advisement and registration



Our online advisement and registration process focuses on the unique needs of transfer students and emphasizes personal advisement. We recognize that transfer students have diverse needs and experiences. Therefore, the online transfer advisement & registration for the online psychology major will focus primarily on the advisement and registration process while offering individual assistance. While completing your online transfer advisement & registration (Step 5), you will be advised on program requirements, receive information about how your courses and credits from other institutions transferred into UMD, plan and register for fall semester classes. In addition, you will have access to an experienced advisor who will review your course selections and answer your individual questions online. All orientation materials are housed within Moodle, our course management system.

Coursework in progress

If you have any coursework in progress for which we have not received transcripts, please have documentation (such as copies of registration forms or transcripts) of those courses with you when you log in and start the UMD online transfer advisement & registration for the online psychology major (Step 5) . This information is crucial when planning the course schedule. Once you have completed this coursework, please request that a final transcript be sent to UMD so that your coursework can be evaluated for transfer credit.

Health insurance requirement

All students registered for six credits or more are required by the University of Minnesota to carry health insurance. Before registering for courses, students need to know whether they will be covered by a family policy or other policy. Insured students need to know their insurance company name, company telephone number and insurance policy number in order to waive the fee for the University-sponsored insurance. Uninsured students will be required to purchase the University-sponsored insurance.

Important Note: If you are planning on registering for online courses only (6 or more credits), you will not be charged the Student Service Fee (SSF) for the semester. Since you are not paying the Student Service Fee, you cannot enroll in the University-sponsored insurance. You will need to have coverage by family health insurance policies or other private insurance.

Information on the Health Insurance Requirement policy may be obtained by calling

218-726-8462 or Health Insurance Website

Student immunization record

Minnesota Law (M.S. 135A.14) requires that all students enrolled in post-secondary school be in compliance with specific immunization requirements. Students who graduated from a Minnesota high school after January 1, 1996, are in compliance based on high school requirements. A Student Immunization Record is needed for students who do not meet the high school requirement. Please download, complete and mail the form directly to UMD Health Services to ensure compliance. Failure to complete the immunization record will result in a hold being placed on your UMD records preventing spring registration.

Click to download and print the Student Immunization Record if applicable to your situation
Mail your completed student immunization record to:  


DULUTH MN 55812-3065  

Student Immunization Requirements:
Health Services


The State of Minnesota has established a reciprocity agreement with the states of Wisconsin, North Dakota and South Dakota, as well as with the province of Manitoba. Students with residency in these states or in Manitoba need to submit an application to the higher education board in their state of residency. The application must be approved by the student’s home state in order for the student to qualify for the reduced “reciprocity” tuition rate. Students from these areas who do not receive approval for reciprocity are charged the non-resident tuition rate, so application is in students’ best interest. Please note that if you were approved for reciprocity for your current college/university, you will need to re-apply for reciprocity approval for UMD.

Applications will be available after April 1st from your home state higher education office.

Go to this site below to learn more regarding reciprocity

UMD Toll Free 800-232-1339
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer