You are here
Junior Counselor Program
UMD KIDSROCK JUNIOR COUNSELOR (JC) PROGRAM
The 2019 Junior Counselors Program is designed for high school students who would like to further enhance their leadership skills and learn what it is like to be a UMD KIDSROCK counselor, while earning volunteer hours. All Junior Counselors (JC) will be placed into a Classic Camp group, alongside our full-time camp counselor staff, and take on assisting responsibilities, tasks and duties of summer camp. These duties including: dynamically interacting with the campers, facilitating games and projects, monitoring the safety of camp and participating in the various camp events. In exchange, Junior Counselors will gain positive workplace experience, American Red Cross Certifications, and leadership skills in a fun creative environment. Space for the JC Program is very limited and prospective participants must meet the following criteria to be considered for the program:
• Participants must complete the 2019 JUNIOR COUNSELOR APPLICATION before May 31, 2019.
• Participants must pay the $60.00 Jr Counselor Training Fee before attending.
> Call (218) 726-7670 or stop by the RSOP Front Office (SpHC 152) to register and pay the training fee.
• Participants must be 14 to 17 years old (by the first day of the week of camp selected).
• Participants (even if returning from last summer) must be available to participate in the UMD KIDSROCK Junior Counselor training session before summer camps begin.
• Participants must complete a CPR/First Aid certification prior to the first day of their scheduled week of camp (a free CPR/First Aid class is offered during training session).
• Participants must confirm each camp they are assigned by the deadline communicated.
• Preferred participants should have completed at least one year of high school.
• Preferred participants should have attended one week of KIDSROCK Venture Camp.
• Preferred participants should have attended more than one week of KIDSROCK Camp.
Due to the popularity of the UMD KIDSROCK Junior Counselor Program, we unfortunately cannot guarantee a spot to everyone who wishes to participate. Participants selected as Junior Counselors will be assigned to a camp group each week according to their availability and the camp program needs. A Camp Coordinator or Camp Supervisor will notify the prospective JC Program participants, via email, of their assigned camp weeks on or before June 6, 2019.
There is a $60.00 Jr Counselor training session fee that will cover general supplies, staff training, CPR/First Aid training and certification, and weekly staff costs involved with this program.
JUNIOR COUNSELOR APPLICATIONS will be available starting on March 1st and are to be completed before May 31, 2019.
All prospective Jr. Counselors can email MAYHEM at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.