Junior Counselor Program
You are here
UMD KIDSROCK JUNIOR COUNSELOR (JC) PROGRAM
The JC Program is designed for high school students who would like to further enhance their leadership skills and learn what it is like to be a UMD KIDSROCK counselor, while earning volunteer hours. All Junior Counselors will be placed into a camp group, alongside our full-time camp counselor staff, and take on assisting responsibilities, tasks and duties of summer camp. These duties including: dynamically interacting with the campers, facilitating games and projects, monitoring the safety of camp and participating in the various camp events. In exchange, Junior Counselors will gain positive workplace experience, American Red Cross Certifications, and leadership skills in a fun creative environment. Space for the JC Program is very limited and prospective participants must meet the following criteria to be considered for the program:
- Participants must complete and return the JC APPLICATION by June 1, 2018.
-Email Application to firstname.lastname@example.org
-Hand in documents at the UMD RSOP Front Office (SpHC 153)
- Participants (even if returning from last summer) must be available to participate in the UMD KIDSROCK Jr Counselor Workshop on Friday, June 1 from 3:30pm-7:00pm.
- Participants must complete CPR/First Aid certification prior to the first day of their scheduled week of camp (a free CPR/First Aid class during training on June 1).
- Preferred participants should have completed at least one year of high school.
- Participants must to be under the age of 18 years old.
- Participants must confirm each camp they are assigned before June 8, 2018.
Due to the popularity of the UMD KIDSROCK Junior Counselor Program, we unfortunately cannot guarantee a spot to everyone who wishes to participate. Participants selected as Junior Counselors will be assigned to a camp group each week according to their availability and the camp program needs. A KIDSROCK Coordinator or Camp Supervisor will notify the prospective JC Program participants, via email, of their assigned camp weeks on or before June 4, 2018.
There is a $50.00 workshop fee that will cover general supplies, staff training, CPR/First Aid training and certification, and weekly staff costs involved with this program. The $50.00 workshop fee applies to all participants of the Junior Counselors workshop, and is payable by check (to: UMD RSOP) or credit/debit card due on or before the UMD KIDSROCK Jr Counselor Workshop, Friday, June 1 from 3:30pm.
All prospective Jr. Counselors can email MAYHEM at email@example.com with any questions.