Dr. Edward Bersu: Bachelor of Arts – Zoology 1968
Edward Bersu was born and raised in Duluth and earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Zoology and Chemistry in 1968. After serving in the U.S. Air Force from 1968 to 1972, Dr. Bersu completed his Ph.D. degree at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1976 and joined the UW-Medical School faculty in the same year. He is currently a Professor in the UW-Madison Department of Anatomy and an Affiliate Professor in the UW-Madison School of Education’s Department of Kinesiology. Dr. Bersu’s major research interests have included investigations of the morphology of human malformation syndromes associated with verified chromosomal imbalances such as trisomy.
Dr. Bersu served as Interim Associate Dean for Students for the UW-Medical School in 2003 and 2004. He has chaired the UW-Madison Biological Sciences Executive Division Curriculum Committee and for the past four years has chaired the campus committee that facilitates policies associated with the American Disabilities Act. Dr. Bersu is an advisor for the UW-Madison Biology program and sits on the Biology Degree Executive Committee.
Mr. Gerald Ostroski: Retired Engineer from Minnesota Power
After graduating from the University of Wisconsin, Gerald (Jerry) Ostroski began his Minnesota Power career in 1963 as an Assistant System Planning Engineer and steadily assumed positions of increasing responsibility. He retired in July of 2002 after 39 years of service to Minnesota Power. Mr. Ostroski also served as a director or officer of several other Minnesota Power subsidiaries including Distributed Energy Systems Corp. He also served on the Board of Directors of the Minnesota High Technology Association, and serves on and chaired the University of Minnesota’s Natural Resources Research Institute Industry Advisory Board. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Ostroski was a Registered Professional Engineer licensed in Minnesota and North Dakota.
Jerry Ostroski’s career-long interest in new technology and computers and in how they could transform the electric utility industry was legendary at Minnesota Power. Also legendary is his leadership in the group of industrialists and legislators that lobbied to establish engineering programs at UMD in the early and mid 1980s. This leadership continued as he served as the Head of the Engineering Advisory Committee and Scholarship Committee and continues to be active in supporting and promoting engineering education at UMD. In addition to professional society memberships he is active in many philanthropic organizations.
Dr. Howard Levine: Bachelor of Arts – Mathematics 1964, Bachelor of Arts – Chemistry 1964
Born in St. Paul, Howard Levine graduated from Duluth Central High School and moved on to the University of Minnesota Duluth, where he graduated in 1964 with a B.A. (summa cum laude) in mathematics and chemistry. He continued his schooling in mathematics at Cornell, earning an M.A. in 1967 and a Ph.D. in 1969. After stops at ETS in Zurich, UMTC and the University of Rhode Island, Dr. Levine moved in 1978 to Iowa State University where he is currently Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and Sciences in the Department of Mathematics. He is on the editorial board of numerous journals and has been a department head at Iowa State. Dr. Levine has published more than 100 referred works and presented over 250 invited lectures, and he is listed in the ISI Web of Knowledge among 300 highly-cited mathematicians. An expert in the field of partial differential equations, one of his recent research interests is mathematical modeling of tumor-driven angiogenesis.
Dr. Glenn B. Morey: Bachelor of Science – Geology 1957
Glenn B. Morey is presently Professor Emeritus, University of Minnesota, Winchell School of Earth Sciences. After earning a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Minnesota Duluth in 1957, Dr. Morey enrolled in graduate studies in the Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis that resulted in both a Master’s degree (1962) and a Ph.D. degree (1965). Both degrees focused upon aspects of rocks of Precambrian age in the Lake Superior region. He joined the professional staff of the Minnesota Geological Survey as a geologist in 1965 and became Principal Geologist and General Supervisor of geologic activities in the Precambrian terrane of Minnesota in 1973. He was named Associate Director of the Survey in 1976 and in 1979 Chief Geologist was added to his title. From 1986 to 2001, the year of his retirement, Dr. Morey held the titles of Professor in the Department of Geology and Geophysics, where he was a member of the graduate faculty in the areas of stratigraphy and sedimentology; and Associate Director and Chief Geologist, Minnesota Geological Survey.
Dr. Morey’s research activities and interests have been general geologic mapping in Minnesota, especially in the Archean rocks of northern Minnesota; stratigraphy and sedimentology, with emphasis on interrelationships of tectonics and sedimentation in rocks of Proterozoic age; Minnesota’s mineral resources, with particular emphasis on iron ore of the Mesabi range of northern Minnesota and manganese resources of the Cuyuna range in east-central Minnesota; and an abiding interest in the history of geology, particularly the Lake Superior region.
Dr. Morey’s professional accomplishments are well-documented in over two hundred publications, including geologic maps, books, and reports. Early in his career, in 1972, he co-edited with then Survey Director PK Sims the book, Geology of Minnesota: A Centennial Volume. It remains today the single most important and best compendium of the state’s geology. His constant and broad interest in Precambrian studies is apparent in the majority of his scientific papers, and his dedication to field studies and geologic mapping produced dozens of maps on local, regional and state scales. Other publications point to Dr. Morey’s dedication to public education. In 1996 he received a Teamwork Award from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources for creating and producing “Geology of MinnesotadeA guide for Teachers.” In 1986 the Institute on Lake Superior Geology awarded him the prestigious Goldich Medal for “Outstanding contributions to the geology of the Lake Superior Region”.
Dr. Charles Taylor: Bachelor of Arts – Chemistry 1952, Bachelor of Arts – Physics 1952
Charles W. Taylor earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from UMD with a double major in chemistry and physics in 1952. He then entered the graduate program at the University of Wisconsin. Shortly after completing a Ph.D. in organic chemistry in 1956, Dr. Taylor accepted a scientist position in the Central Research Laboratory at 3M. His distinguished career at 3M spanned nearly four decades and included a variety of projects focusing on organic chemistry, biochemistry and medical devices. In addition to numerous records of invention, Dr. Taylor holds a dozen patents on pressure sensitive adhesives, dental restoratives, high performance polymers and biocompatible materials. When he retired from 3M, he had achieved the highest level of scientist, namely 3M Corporate Scientist.