Frequently Asked Questions

You are here

Frequently Asked Questions about Sexual Misconduct

Will the information I share about sexual assault be kept confidential?
The answer depends on the person with whom you share the information. Some staff at UMD can promise confidentiality. That means you can share information with them and they will not reveal any identifying information to anyone else (they may have to share general information - nothing that identifies you - to comply with record keeping required by state and federal law). Click here for more information about confidential resources at UMD. Click here to learn what to expect if you report information to a confidential employee. All other faculty and staff at UMD have an obligation under University policy to share information you provide about sexual assault to a Title IX Coordinator.

It's also important to note that UMD is committed to protecting the privacy of someone who provides information about a sexual assault and will make reasonable efforts to protect the privacy of anyone participating in an investigation process in accordance with applicable state and federal law. Protecting an individual's privacy is balanced with the need to gather information to assess the report and to take steps to stop the sexual misconduct, prevent it from recurring, and addressing its effects.  The University will maintain the privacy of student records in accordance with applicable state and federal law, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  The University will maintain the privacy of employee records in accordance with the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act (MDPA).  The University will complete publicly available recordkeeping, including Clery Act reporting and disclosures, without the inclusion of personally identifying information about the complainant.

What options do I have for reporting sexual misconduct?
There are a number of options. This page outlines all of the reporting options available to victim/survivors of sexual misconduct.

What are the benefits of reporting a sexual assault to the police?
Contacting UMD Police does not mean you must pursue charges. UMD Police can advise you of your options and can also preserve evidence while you consider your options. UMD Police can also advise you on safety planning techniques. For emergencies, contact 911. For non-emergencies students are encouraged to contact UMD Police by telephone at 218-726-7000 or in person at room 287, Darland Building. Or, contact the Duluth Police Department at 911 or in person at 411 West First Street, Room 104, Duluth, MN 55802.

What if I'm an employee at the University and I become aware of an incident of sexual misconduct issue?
First, express support for the person who shared their experience with you. Contact a member of the Title IX staff, the Women's Resource and Action Center, or UMD Counseling Services for advice about providing support to a victim/survivor. Second, let the person know that you have an obligation to share what they tell you with the appropriate office on campus as required by University policy. The policy requirement exists because the University takes reports of sexual misconduct seriously and in order to foster an environment free of sexual misconduct. University employees must promptly contact the campus Title IX office when they learn, in the course of performing their employment duties, about any form of sexual misconduct directed at students, employees or third parties.

Why am I encouraged to report an incident of sexual misconduct to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution?
Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution staff can assist a student in filing formal complaints or, if the student does not want to file a formal complaint, the staff can work with the student to address concerns over housing, student activities, class assignments or schedules, leaves of absence, withdrawal or other academic concerns. The office staff can also assist the student in notifying UMD Police or local law enforcement if the student so requests. Click here to learn about what to expect if you report an incident to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution.

Should I report a sexual assault if I was drinking underage when it occurred?
Students are strongly encouraged to report incidents of sexual misconduct as soon as possible. This is true even if the student with a complaint or a witness to an incident may have concerns that their own alcohol or drug use, or other prohibited activity were involved.  Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution will not pursue disciplinary violations against a student with a complaint or a witness for their improper use of alcohol or drugs if the student is making a good faith report of sexual misconduct.

Does it make a difference if the sexual misconduct occurs on or off campus?
No. The University of Minnesota Board of Regents Student Conduct Code gives jurisdiction for enforcement of the code to cover off-campus student conduct when the conduct, as alleged, adversely affects a substantial University interest and either:  (a) constitutes a criminal offense as defined by state or federal law, regardless of the existence or outcome of any criminal proceeding; or (b) indicates that the student may present a danger or threat to the health or safety of the student or others.

Why should I seek medical attention when I haven't decided whether I want to report the assault to the police or the University?
Seeking medical attention can help you in many ways. First, seeking medical attention can help you take care of your own health by checking for injuries, treating those injuries, and addressing the possibility of sexually transmitted infections. Second, a forensic medical exam can preserve evidence of the assault. This is important even if you are currently undecided about your next steps because you may later decide to pursue criminal charges or university disciplinary charges - that evidence can help in both situations. A medical exam is not, however, required before pursuing criminal or university disciplinary charges. In Duluth, initial medical exams are free for a person who has been sexually assaulted.

Where can I find information about UMD crime statistics?
Crime statistics are collected by the University of Minnesota Duluth Police Department. Click here to view the statistics on the UMDPD website.