University of Minnesota Duluth

Advising is teaching.

The University of Minnesota Duluth supports faculty advising. Every student is assigned a faculty advisor and, in the School of Fine Arts, is required to meet with the advisor at least once each semester to discuss academic planning and progress towards degree. Because faculty advisors are experts in the field of study, they are excellent mentors for students and are instrumental in career and future planning.

To ensure that students meet with their advisors, SFA places an advising hold on the student record until the faculty member releases the hold when advisement is complete.

Common Resources for Advisors

30-60-90 UMD Student Success Roadmap

Faculty Referral Form for concerns about students (Microsoft Word document)
Please deliver completed form to Stacy Crawford via email ( or campus mail (111 MonH).

Faculty Advising Policies and Procedures for SFA

Academic Standing

Students who have 31 or more completed credits (including transfer and credit by exam) must have a 2.00 minimum GPA to be in good academic standing in SFA. Student who have attempted fewer than 31 credits must have a 1.80 minimum overall GPA to be in good academic standing. Students with a GPA below the minimum are placed on academic probation. Students on academic probation have one semester of attendance to attain the overall GPA required to avoid dismissal. Students should consider a lighter load or repeating "D" or "F" courses to improve the GPA. All students on probation are required to meet with Stacy Crawford, SFA's Academic Advisor (; 218-726-8436; 111 Montague Hall).

Change of College

Students may process a transfer from one collegiate unit to another by filing a Change of College form. There is a published deadline for change of college each semester. Forms are available online or at the Information Desk in Campus Center.

Collegiate Honors

At UMD, 15 percent of the graduating class can graduate with college honors. In SFA, the top three percent graduate summa cum laude; the next five percent magna cum laude; and the next seven percent cum laude. At the beginning of each year, GPAs necessary to achieve these honors are posted outside the Dean's Office, 120 Montague. The GPAs are based on the previous spring semester graduating class. To be eligible for honors, students must earn at least 30 credits from UMD.

Dean's List

Students who complete 12 graded (A-F) semester credits with a term GPA of 3.5 or higher are placed on the SFA Dean's List. A notation is written to the student's transcript following grades for the term. Incompletes, missing grades, Ns, and Fs disqualify a student from eligibility. Students who have been on the Dean's List of Academic Excellence for four or more semesters are given special recognition by the school at the time of graduation.

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)

To view a short presentation on FERPA click here

If you have further questions about FERPA, please contact the School of Fine Arts Advising & Academic Services Office.

Grade Point Averages

There are three grade points averages of concern to students: the UMD GPA, the overall GPA, and the major GPA.

  1. The UMD GPA is the grade point average of all work attempted at UMD. It is the GPA that appears on the UMD transcript and which appears on all inquiry screens in PeopleSoft.
  2. The overall GPA is the grade point average of all work attempted at UMD and at institutions from which credit has been accepted at UMD. It is the overall GPA that appears on the APAS.
  3. The major GPA is the grade point average of all work attempted at UMD and at institutions from which credit has been accepted that meet a major requirement. It is the major GPA that appears on the APAS.


Service indicators are placed on student records for a number of reasons, and with a variety of consequences. Students can get information about any holds on their records by logging into the Registration system. As advisors, you have control over two holds:

SFA hold (SFA Advisor Meeting Required)

This is an advising hold and is used to ensure that the student sees the advisor before registration. The hold is released or removed on recommendation of the faculty advisor.

P1 or P2 (Academic Probation Hold)

This hold is placed on a students record when they are below a 2.0 GPA and are on Academic Probation. All students on probation are required to meet with Stacy Crawford, SFA's Academic Advisor (; 218-726-8436; 111 MonH).

Contact your department to learn about how to "clear" the SFA Advising Meeting Hold.

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade ("I") may be assigned by a faculty member when circumstances have prevented a student from completing specific requirements for the class. The faculty member may set a deadline for completion of the work If the "I" grade has not been changed to a regular grade within a year, it will automatically lapse to an "F" grade. Contact your department regarding Incomplete policies or for a contract to use as an agreement with a student.


Students may file a petition for exception to any university policy. The petition includes a precise statement of the action being requested and documentation of the reason why the petition should be granted. Signatures appropriate to the petition must be secured before the form is submitted to Advising & Academic Services. Petitions are scrutinized closely in Advising & Academic Services before action is taken to verify that the circumstances provided by the student warrant an exception to policy. The final decision on petitions is made in the Office of the Registrar. Forms are available at the Campus Center Information Desk, or in the Advising & Academic Services Office.

The most common policies that are petitioned are related to late registration.

Program Declaration

A Change of Major / Minor form is used by students to make changes to academic plan data within SFA. It is important that students have the correct major or emphasis on file. Forms to change majors are available in each department or in the SFA Advising & Academic Services Office (107 Montague Hall Building).

Program Substitutions/Waivers

The APAS (Academic Progress Audit System) tracks the student's progress in completing all requirements for the degree program. The APAS is used to clear degrees for posting; thus it is critical that any substitutions and/or waivers that are approved for the student be entered to the APAS system. Use the Amendment to the APAS form to request modification to a student's individual APAS.

Repeating Courses

Students may repeat courses in which they have a grade below C-. Department approval is required for a student to complete a course with a grade of C- or higher. Forms (available at Campus Center Information Desk or online) should be filed as soon as the student registers to repeat the class. At the end of the term of the repeat, the attempted credits and grade points for the first attempt are removed from the GPA calculation and replaced with the credits and grade points from the second attempt.

UMD Policy states that only the last grade recorded is used in calculating the U of M GPA.

Withdrawal after the Eighth Week

University policy prevents student withdrawal from class after the end of the eighth week of the semester. Students who wish to withdraw after the eighth week must do so by petition, and must be doing satisfactory work in the class. Petitions are granted for extenuating circumstances only.

Approved examples:

  • Recommendation for complete medical withdrawl with appropriate documentation from medical personnel.
  • A doctor's note indicating a student was hospitalized and could not attend school for five days. During those five days a project and exam were due and because of the content and structure of the course, the work could not be made up. The arrangements to make up the missed work was not an option. The instructor must sign indicating the course work cannot be made up.
  • Dated documentation from current employer stating an increase in work hours. Document must state when new hours began and what they are.
  • Dated documentation regarding a family emergency. Parents or guardians must provide documentation.
  • Student thought they had withdrawn from course before the 8th week. (Advising & Academic Services will review the registration transactions to verify an attempt to withdraw. If there is none, the petition will be denied.)

Denied examples:

  • Major has changed and student no longer needs the course
  • Student is performing poorly in the course
© 2015 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 04/23/14 04:50 PM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations