Congratulations! We are thrilled you have been admitted to UMD and we are excited to assist you in getting setup to register for your first semester of UMD Classes.
Advisement and Registration is your first step to becoming a full-fledged member of the UMD Bulldog pack and is mandatory for all students.
Admitted after August 3rd, 2016? No problem. Expect a call from our office providing you with the steps to register for A&R (see below). Don't worry, we will still send an official invitation in the mail, but since classes begin soon, we do not want to make you wait.
Attention International Students:
You will NOT use this process to schedule a date to register for your fall classes. The International Student Service Office will contact you with the information that is appropriate to your program.
Steps to Register for A&R
First, Setting up your UMD Accounts
- Initiate your UMD account using the Student ID found in your invitation: https://www.umn.edu/initiate. You will need your internet ID and password you created to activate your email account
- Activate your University Email Account by logging in at MyU and click on the email button. You will be sent to a Google Account Options page.You will need to:
Once you opt into your UMD Gmail account, your account will be activated, and you will be able to access your email shortly. If you do not activate your email account, you will not receive emails that contain information about A&R.
- Check the three boxes to accept the terms and conditions for using Google at the University
- Select the appropriate campus where you will be attending school - Duluth
- Submit the form
- Wait between 5 & 30 minutes for Google to create your email account (this is usually almost instantaneous, but can take up to the 30 minutes)
Note: If you took courses at the U of M (as a previous college student or as a PSEO student or through a College in the Schools program), you will already have initiated your account and activated your UMD email and will not need to do this step again. However, if you have forgotten your U of M internet id (usually the first letters of your last name followed by numbers) or your password, you will need to contact our ITSS helpdesk at 218-726-8847 to get a temporary password. You should go in and change your password immediately as the temporary password will expire within a day. Keep your new password handy to log in to the VZO system.
Second, log in to VisualZen (VZO) z.umn.edu/arsignin with your UMD internet ID/password. On the Tasklist, click on Complete My Advisement & Registration Reservation. This will guide you through the necessary steps you need to complete, including reserving a proxy date and paying the non-refundable $80 confirmation fee.
Note: You cannot register for classes until the $80 non-refundable fee is paid. Proxy appointments means a representative from your collegiate unit will contact you to set up a phone registration or in-person session.
Once payment is received. You will get two separate confirmation emails sent to your UMD email account:
- One, will state your official A&R date and time and
- The second one will confirm that the payment transaction was successful
Third, check your UMD email account regularly between now and the start of school for any updates or other information.
A&R Schedule for August 8 and August 9, 2016
Check-in is located in front of Montague Hall 70 & 80. Student advisors will greet you in the Pay Lot on University Drive (off W. St. Marie Street) and will help guide you to the check-in location.
9:15am-9:40am: Check-in Opens
9:45am: Program Begins
- Coffee, juice and a light breakfast will be available
- 9:45am-10:15am: University Welcome, Office for Students in Transition (SIT) (Students & Families attend)
- 10:20am-10:50am: College Welcome (Students & Families attend)
- 11:00am-11:30am: Lunch: meet student leaders and other new students (Students only)
- 11:00am-11:45am: Parent Lunch Break
- 11:45am: Parents attend the Parent Program for the remainder of the day
- 11:30am-12:00pm: Collegiate Unit Advising Discussion (Students only)
- 12:00pm-2:00pm: Students advised by their colleges (Students only)
Faculty, Professional Staff and Student Advisors are on hand to assist students in registering for classes for their major.
- 2:00pm-3:00pm: Students go get their U Card (Students only)
Things to Note
- You will need your your UMD internet ID and password. You MUST bring a photo ID/driver’s license to get your U Card. You WILL NOT be able to get your U Card without it, and a laptop computer or ipad (if you have one available to you).
- Some students will finish before the 2:00pm end time; it depends on the availability of advisors and each student’s unique circumstances. Please have a plan for how you will contact those you brought with you, if anyone, should this instance arise.
Did you know...
- Complete Mandatory Modules: To help new freshmen and transfer students (under the age of 25) get ready for their first semester in Duluth, UMD requires the completion of three online educational modules. Students over the age of 25 will need to complete one educational module. The modules cover a number of important topics, and they help UMD meet a Minnesota state law for all incoming college students. Instructions for the new modules were sent to students UMD email account from the Office of Student Life to the students. If you have any questions, please contact the Office for Student Life at email@example.com or (218) 726-8501.
- Bulldog Welcome Week: Incoming New Students - mandatory BWW is August 23-August 27th. Transfer students - mandatory Transfer Welcome is on Friday, August 26th from 10:00am - 12:00pm in the Ballroom
- For the complete list of what else you need to have done before settling into your new life here at UMD, visit the Next Steps page.
Questions or confused? Call us at 218-726-6393. We will be happy to guide you through any step of the process!