You are here
*2017 Strategic Planning update in progress*
2011 Strategic Plan: Mission, Vision, Goals
The University of Minnesota Duluth integrates liberal education, research, creative activity, and public engagement and prepares students to thrive as lifelong learners and globally engaged citizens.
The University of Minnesota Duluth will build upon its unique land-grant and sea-grant traditions to become a premier comprehensive university recognized as world class for its learning-centered student experiences, research, creative activities, and public engagement.
- We will educate students to be engaged, lifelong learners through our rich learning-centered and innovative curricula and student life experiences.
- We will prepare graduates who are sought after by employers because of their cultural, global, and professional competence.
- We will address issues central to the global society’s scientific, cultural, economic, and artistic vitality through research and creative inquiry.
- We will become a world leader in learning and research opportunities by leveraging the region’s unique natural, human, and cultural resources.
- We will serve the educational needs of indigenous peoples, as well as the economic growth, cultural preservation, and sovereignty of the American Indian nations of the region, the state and North America.
- We will create a campus that exemplifies resource sustainability, technology and information integration, global perspectives and connections, social justice, and collaboration.
- We will be central to the cultural, economic, and intellectual life of Duluth and surrounding communities.
Goal 1: Promote integrated curricular, co-curricular, and living-learning undergraduate experiences that achieve UMD’s student learning goals and prepare students for lifelong learning, globally engaged citizenship, and success in their academic, personal, and professional lives.
Goal 2: Create a positive and inclusive campus climate for all by advancing equity, diversity, and social justice.
Goal 3: Establish UMD as a center of excellence for graduate studies in the Upper Midwest.
Goal 4: Advance UMD’s stature as a major campus for research and creative activities, leveraging our region’s unique natural, human, and cultural resources.
Goal 5: Strengthen ties with Duluth and surrounding communities in an intentional, visible, and mutually beneficial partnership.
Goal 6: Utilize UMD’s infrastructure; technologies; and information, human and financial resources to support the campus in a sustainable manner.