All UMD students are encouraged to register to vote and exercise your right to have a voice in our democracy. UMD has a responsibility to provide you with the voter registration information you need.

Contact Information

Office of Student Life
245 Kirby Plaza
(218) 726-8501

Office Hours:
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday

Decide Where You Reside

You can only vote from the address where you "reside." Your residence is the place you consider your home, from which you have no current intent to move. As a college student, if you consider your campus residence as your home, you may vote at that address, but if you consider your parents’ address, or some other address as your home, you must vote from that address. Of course, you can only vote from one address in each election.

Register to Vote

Before Election Day

You can download a Voter Registration Application at the Minnesota Secretary of State website and return it by mail to the address listed on the application, or in person to the St. Louis County Auditor or MN Secretary of State’s office. Forms are also available at the following locations:

  • UMD OneStop, 23 Solon Campus Center
  • Office of Student Life, 245 Kirby Plaza
  • Kirby Student Center Information Desk, First floor Kirby Student Center

On Election Day

In Minnesota, you also have the right to register and vote on Election Day when you provide proof of residence. Information about registering on Election Day is also found on the Minnesota Secretary of State website. If you live on campus, and you plan to register on election day, you need only bring your student photo ID (UCard) since UMD Housing and Residence Life provides a housing list to election officials.

Absentee Student Voting

If you are going to be somewhere other than your residence on Election Day, you can still vote by absentee ballot. Absentee ballot applications and instructions are available at the Minnesota Secretary of State website.

If you are going to be out of the country or studying abroad on the day of the elections, you can still vote in Minnesota. Visit the Minnesota Secretary of State website for information and resources related to overseas voting.