Take the Breathefree UMD Quiz and test your knowledge about the policy:
What year was the smoke-free policy first implemented?
2007 (2008 including housing). Happy 5th Birthday, Breathefree UMD!
Does UMD allow smoking in your personal vehicle?
No, smoking in personal vehicles while on UMD property is not allowed.
Do any of the Duluth City Ordinances affect us while on UMD campus?
Yes, 2 of them:
1. As of March 7, 2010, smoking near bus shelters on campus can result in a fine up to $1000.
2. No person shall smoke in any public place within 100 feet of a medical facility, which includes UMD Health Services.
Is there any place to report violations and “hot spots” on campus?
Yes. You can send a confidential email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the information about date, time and location of the violation.
What are the goals of Breathefree UMD?
1. Provide an environment where people are not exposed to second-hand smoke.
2. Increase awareness of smoking cessation resources available on campus and in the community.
3. Complement UMD’s commitment to an environmentally responsible campus.
What is the current sanction for students for the first violation of the policy?
Students are contacted to have an administrative meeting with a representative from the Office of Student Conduct. If the student is found responsible at that meeting then the student is registered for an online educational module with a $25 registration fee. The student must complete the module within one week with 80% proficiency, or there will be a hold on the student record.(Staff and Faculty violations follow Human Resources procedures.)