You are here
The UMD Study Abroad office is the visionary leader for UMD’s international programs. We provide international learning experiences in multiple formats, which are integral to a quality liberal education. Students completing our programs will increase in:
- Cognitive complexity
- Relational interdependence
Through our programs, students will build new life skills and be better prepared for their roles and responsibilities as global citizens.
To achieve our mission we will:
- Provide professional expertise in international program development and administration
- Offer, monitor and continuously improve a range of program options in the major regions of the world
- Develop international programs that are socially and fiscally responsible
- Create, monitor, and continuously improve programs to support learning goals and strategic plan of UMD
- Ensure that learners acquire knowledge, increase cognitive complexity, self-realization, relational interdependence, community engagement awareness, humanitarianism, and gain new, relevant life skills in preparation as responsible global citizens
About UMD Study Abroad
UMD Study Abroad is University of Minnesota Duluth’s comprehensive resource for international study, service-learning, research, work, internship, volunteer and travel experiences. Study Abroad is a leader in providing innovative international learning experiences that expand and redefine the world for a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. The Study Abroad office offers a full range of advising and supportive services to students on such issues as program selection, academic, financial and travel planning, registration, culture shock, and re-entry. A variety of program options have been developed to address the diverse needs of students. Programs vary in length, academic focus and rigor, teaching format, language requirements, cost and degree of independence demanded of the participant. Study Abroad works with many departments, administrative offices and other units within the University to determine appropriate study abroad options for each major and minor, and to help students earn credit toward their degrees through study abroad. With planning, students in any undergraduate major can study abroad and fulfill degree requirements.