You are here
UMD Study Abroad Scholarships
UMD Study Abroad Scholarships
UMD Study Abroad offers over $80,000 in scholarships annually to UMD students studying abroad. You will be considered for all UMD study abroad scholarships with the submission of the online application. You can check out other study abroad scholarships here. If you’re going on a cosponsored, affiliate, or UMTC program, research their additional scholarship and funding information.
UMD Study Abroad Scholarship Eligibility
- You must be a UMD degree-seeking student at the time of your study abroad program
- You must be participating in a UMD, cosponsored, UMTC, or affiliate study abroad program
- The program must require a passport
UMD Online Scholarship Application Deadlines
Select the appropriate application period for your program. Applications submitted during the wrong period will not be considered. Only applications submitted online by midnight on the deadline will be reviewed. (Links coming soon).
- Winter, Spring, or Calendar Year 2020 — Deadline: October 6, 2019
- May or Summer Term 2020 — Deadline: February 16, 2020
- Fall or Academic Year 2020–2021 — Deadline: April 12, 2020
To access the online application, login to your UMD account. You must have a d.umn.edu email account receive access. If you are a UMD student without a d.umn.edu account, contact UMD ITSS. Applications may be submitted prior to acceptance into a program. You may want to prepare your brief essay before starting the application. You will not be able to save and return to your online application.
Scoring is based only on the answers to the following short essay questions (a total of 300 words or fewer):
- Why did you select your study abroad program?
- Why are you a good candidate to receive this award?
- How will your study abroad experience contribute to your future, long-range plans?
After you submit your application, you’ll receive an automatic reply indicating we have received your application.
Your online scholarship application automatically applies to all of the following scholarships for consideration:
- UMD Study Abroad Scholarship
- UM System-wide Scholarship
- The Alworth Institute Scholarship (Fall term only)
- The Robert H. and Mary M. Evans Scholarship (Academic Year - Exchange in Worcester, England only)
- UMD Affiliate Program Scholarships
- (API) Academic Programs International
- (ASA) Academic Studies Abroad
- (AIFS) American Institute for Foreign Studies
- (CEA) Center for Education Abroad
- (CISabroad) Center for International Studies Abroad
- (ISA) International Studies Abroad
- (USAC) University Study Abroad Consortium
Notification of Awards
Applicants will be notified of the scholarship committee’s decision via UMD email. Notification will be sent approximately 3 weeks after the application deadline. The number and monetary amount of scholarship awards vary each term, based on the total number of applications and funds available.