You are here
We’ve worked with campus partners to create a comprehensive list of quality academic programs in a wide variety locations all over the globe.
We have a variety of semester, year-long, and short-term programs. In addition to programs we’ve developed directly with universities abroad, we collaborate with some of our affiliate study abroad providers to cosponsor program options, as well as the UMTC Learning Abroad Center to offer multiple program locations. Have a look at our map and click on the pins to learn more about each program!
UMD Study Abroad Programs
UMD Short-term Programs
Short-term programs are led by UMD faculty. They are generally geared towards certain majors and offer between 3–6 credits. Programs vary year to year in regards to subject matter and location, and the length is typically between 2–6 weeks. They run during May and summer session.
2018 May & Summer Programs
- AUSTRALIA (LSBE) - International Business Down Under
- BAHAMAS (SCSE) - Coral Reef Studies in the Bahamas
- CANADA (LSBE) - Canada’s Health & Healthcare
- CHINA (LSBE) - Business & Economics in China
- CHINA (CLA) - Language & Culture in China
- COSTA RICA (CLA) - Costa Rica: Global Surf Culture
- ENGLAND (CLA & SFA) - Shakespeare in England
- FINLAND (CEHSP) - Finland: Forests & National Parks
- GERMANY (CLA) - Language & Culture in Germany
- IRELAND (LSBE) - Innovation in Ireland
- INDIA (CLA) - Community Empowerment in South India
- ITALY (CEHSP) - Community Health History in Italy
- SPAIN (CLA) - Language & Culture in Spain
- SWEDEN & DENMARK (SFA) - Nordic Art & Design
UMD International Student Teaching
A great way to fulfill student teaching requirements for UMD education majors is to participate in one of UMD’s International Student Teaching programs. The UMD Department of Education and the Study Abroad office collaborate to offer 8 or 12 week programs in:
- How long can I study abroad? You can study abroad for a semester, year, or on a short-term program (typically lasting 2–6 weeks.) Some students study abroad even more than once!
- How do I apply? The entire application process is online. Steps vary depending on the program. Visit individual program web pages for specific instructions.
- What can I study? Almost anything! There are a variety of subject areas to find something to suit your major. You can fulfill Liberal Education requirements, degree requirements, or take electives unrelated to your degree. Bonus: enrolling in any study abroad program fulfills the Global Liberal Education requirement at UMD! Browse our Study Abroad Course Database to see what classes past students have taken abroad, or research foreign courses and get them reviewed at UMD to see if they can transfer back.
- Will I receive academic credit for my studies abroad? Yes. You’ll receive academic credit for all coursework you complete abroad.
- How much does this cost? Costs vary! We offer programs that cost less than, the same as, and more than the what you pay at UMD. Browse program costs on any specific study abroad program page. Use our budget planning tool to plan and compare costs at UMD and abroad.
- Does financial aid apply? Yes. Financial aid may apply to study abroad costs. Check out more info about financial aid and study abroad. (Note: you must be a full-time student to receive financial aid.)
- Do I need to know a foreign language? No. While we encourage learning a new language (or improving one you already know) all programs in all of our locations offer courses taught in English.
- When is the best time to study abroad? You can study abroad anytime after completing 30 credits—even as soon as the summer after your first year! Be sure to check with your academic or faculty advisor to determine the best time frame for you to study abroad.
If you are curious about alternative program options, please visit our program types page for further information.