Accepted Exchange Students

You are here

Accepted Exchange Student Info

Congratulations on being accepted as an exchange student at the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD)! This info will help you stay organized while you prepare for your studies at UMD. It’s important to read this information carefully and complete and submit all required paperwork. Be sure to review all pages on this site under the “Accepted Exchange Student” section. 

Accepted Student Forms

  1. Arrival Details & Pickup Request (provide as many details as possible)
  2. Exchange Health Information Form
  3. Health Immunization Record Form
  4. Visa Copy (application details below)

Submit all forms directly to the UMD Study Abroad office,

* To fill out the forms electronically, download a copy to your desktop—complete the form and then re-save it with a new name. 


Complete and submit these forms electronically to your UMD study abroad advisor by: 

  • July 21:  Fall semester or academic year (August start)
  • December 1:  Spring semester (January start) 

Visa to study in the U.S.

As an exchange student at UMD, you will need to apply for an F-1 Visa. This requires paying the SEVIS I-901 fee and visa application fee before your interview. Please reference the U.S. Department of State website for the most up to date and accurate information on F-1 visa application requirements

It is very important to enter the U.S. with the proper visa. You must apply for an entry visa stamp in your passport so that you can enter the U.S. in student status. F visas can only be obtained outside of the U.S. at a U.S. embassy or consulate. For more guidance on the visa process, you can follow steps outlined on the Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.

Arrival to Duluth 

The UMD Study Abroad office provides complimentary pick-up/shopping service to new arriving exchange students. If interested, read details on getting to Duluth and submit your arrival details by the noted deadline.

UMD Identification Number & Email 

All exchange students will be issued a UMD student ID number and email which you'll use while studying at UMD. If a form requests this information before you receive your ID number, the field can be left blank, or contact the Study Abroad office for assistance. 


For students living on campus, further housing application instructions will be given via email after you have been officially accepted. 

Insurance & Enrollment 

The University of Minnesota mandates that all international students enroll in the Student Health Benefit Plan. Information about the plan and costs is available at You will automatically be enrolled in the health insurance plan and billed during your semester(s) at UMD. An optional dental plan can be purchased as routine dental work typically isn't covered under medical plans in the U.S. If interested, you can enroll upon arrival and it will be billed during your semester(s) at UMD.

Billing & Payment

The insurance and voluntary dental plan costs and the on-campus housing charge will be billed, with payment due, after the semester starts at UMD. The bill can be accessed and paid for via your UMD student account. Further details will be provided at your on-site orientation. Additional info on costs for exchange students can be found here.