You are here


On-Campus Employment at UMD

You are eligible to work part-time on campus as jobs are available. To find part-time, on-campus employment: Click “Search Postings“, to look for employment in Food Service, go to the Food Service Employment Listings.

You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week when school is in session and full-time during breaks and summer. Do not apply for work-study jobs; this is a U.S. government financial aid program and does not pertain to international students.

Off-Campus Employment

International exchange students cannot work off-campus unless you are a full-time student for at least one full academic year.

Social Security Number

A Social Security Number is required for anyone working in the U.S., including students who work on campus. To apply for a free Social Security Number, get a copy of your job offer from your on-campus employer and bring it to International Student Services, located at 237 Kirby Student Center. You can then obtain the required documentation from the university to apply for your Social Security Number.

When applying for your Social Security card, you will be required to bring your passport, I-94, I-20 and the job offer letter to:

Social Security Administration office in the U.S. Bank Building
130 West Superior Street, Suite 400
Duluth, MN 55807

The office is open Mon.–Fri., from 9 am–3:30 pm; no appointment necessary. Once you receive your Social Security card, do not alter it in any way, (laminating, folding), because this will invalidate your card. Applications cannot be processed until ten business days after arrival in the U.S. Visit the  U.S. Social Security website for more information.

Driving in Minnesota

Requirements for international citizens who wish to drive in the U.S. vary from state to state. View information regarding driving in Minnesota.