Sustainability Leadership Program
You are here
SUSTAINABILITY LEADERSHIP PROGRAM
The Sustainability Leadership Program will provide participants with the skills, knowledge and resources necessary to become change-makers and leaders on campus and beyond.
As a Sustainability Leader they will:
- Enhance leadership skills, and be an agent for change in the campus community and beyond
- Increase professional development and gain experience in hard and soft skills
- Build network with peers working on sustainability
- Play a key role in designing and implementing university-wide sustainability programs and activities
Qualifications for Sustainability Leaders:
Members of the Sustainability Leadership Program need to have a passion for sustainability issues, innovation, leadership, and communication skills to disseminate information about sustainable lifestyle
Training for participating students—both at the beginning of the school year and throughout the year— will help build capacity on sustainability issues
- Train a core group of students as environmental educators and activists
- Increase overall student awareness of environmental actions
- Promote environmental stewardship within the student body.
- Composting and recycling training
- Waste reduction talks
- Presentations at floor meetings
- Trash audits
- Energy audits for off-campus students
- Tours for students, classes and prospective students on sustainability
- Tabling and awareness on energy, waste, water, etc.
- Event organizing
- Beach sweeps(September)
- Include social justice aspect? Social Sustainability
- Potential partnerships with the Multicultural Center
- Choose specific/personal initiatives (ie: Real Food Challenge, composting in residence halls)
- Ways to respond rather than react to deniers?
- Cooking classes/ “Sustainable Supper”
- Low waste residence hall living tricks?
- Upcycling events/DIY/MAke and Take
- Maybe on campus reuse or trips to MRC
- Sustainable Supper
- Potential for working with students who live off campus to bring energy kits and pizza program
Optional activities include things such as websites and media outreach as well as event promotion.