Department of Social Work

Frequently Asked Questions



How do I apply to for the MSW program? Our application deadline is mid-January for admission starting the same year for Fall Semester. Exact deadline dates and application instructions are described here. If you have questions about submitting an application to UMD's MSW program, contact the student support specialist at 726-8497. Applicants must also complete a graduate school application with the University of Minnesota Graduate School. This application deadline is the same as UMD's MSW application, which is typically in early January.

What is a Child Welfare Scholarship? Individuals working in or interested in committing to work in public/tribal child welfare are encouraged to apply to the Child Welfare Scholars program after their acceptance into the UMD MSW program.

Students selected to become child welfare scholars receive specialized child welfare training, support, and a stipend of up to $5,000.00 per semester. In return child welfare scholars agree to complete the Child Welfare Scholars curriculum and work for a public/tribal child welfare agency for a time equivalent to the length of time they received child welfare funding.

For more information on the Child Welfare Scholars Program, please visit the Child Welfare Scholars Program website or contact Jensina Rosen, Child Welfare Scholars Coordinator at (218) 726-7497.

What is the Clinical Scholars Program?
  The Clinical Scholars Program provides students with specialized education and training in interdisciplinary clinical social work. Students in the Clinical Scholars Program are awarded clinical field placement stipends of $10,000 for each required field placement. For more information please visit the Scholarship & Funding web page.

Where can I find internship information?
Visit the MSW Field Site for more information or contact Kathy Heltzer, Field Coordinator at (218) 726-8935.

Are there any paid field placements? The Social Work department does not usually offer paid field placements; however, in some situations it may be possible to use an employment setting as a field placement. For further information, visit the Field Frequently Asked Questions Page.

How much is tuition? Tuition information is located on the Office of Financial Aid & Registrar website. Reciprocity and Residency Information is also located on this website.

Where are the Social Work offices and student lounge located? The Social Work Department office is located in Bohannon 220. The student lounge is located in Bohannon 236. Bohannon Hall map.
How do I find out who my advisor is? Can I change my advisor? Every MSW student has a faculty advisor assigned to them, who can be changed at any time. The Advisor Change Request form is located on the "Forms" web page. If you do not know who your advisor is, contact Student Support Specialist at (218) 726-8497.

Where can I find out about financial aid? Office of Financial Aid & Registrar

Does the UMD Program meet the requirements for clinical content required by the MN Board of Social Work Licensure? Yes, students who come to our MSW program can meet these requirements by taking specified electives with a focus on clinical social work. Students should consult with their academic advisor to be sure they take these courses. Additional information is located on the LICENSURE web page.


UMD Social Work Department

220 Bohannon Hall
1207 Ordean Court
Duluth, MN 55812

(218) 726-8497
1 (888) 534-9734

Did you find what you were looking for? YES NO

Choose appearance:
[ Desktop | Mobile friendly ]