MSW Orientation Information
Checklist for newly admitted MSW students (Advanced Standing and Standard Students)
- Course catalog for the MSW program
- Search for Classes
- Schedule of courses offered
- Drop or add class the first 10 days of semester without a petition.
- Adding courses after the tenth day of the semester requires completing and submitting the "Online UMD Graduate School Petition."
- Transfer Courses must be post-baccalaureate graduate level that was taken for graduate credit and taught by faculty authorized to teach graduate courses. For policy and procedure, click here.
- Waive Required Course: No credit can be given for non-academic or professional "life experience." For policy and Request form, click here.
- E-mail is the official means of communication for the MSW Program, for the University, and for Financial Aid. Check your e-mail daily.
- Initiate account instructions
- Change your password
- Problems with e-mail, laptop or other technology applications, contact the ITSS help desk
- Students who have applied for financial aid will need to check their e-mail accounts to see if all documents required for their application have been completed. E-mail is the official means of communication regrading financial aid.
- One Stop Student Assistance Center
- Visit: 23 Solon Campus Center, no appointment needed. Stop by to visit with a counselor.
- Call: 218-726-8000 or 1-800-232-1339
- Fax: 218-726-8219
- e-mail: email@example.com
- UMD Financial Collections for information on billing and collection of Federal Perkins Loans, Primary Care Loans, University Trust Fund Loans, and Ordean Foundation loans.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 218-726-8103
- Visit: 129 Darland Administration Building
- Additional Financial Aid Contacts
- To avoid registration delays, submit the "Immunization Record form" to UMD Health Services by the start of fall semester.
- Health insurance is required for all degree seeking UMD students registered for six or more eligible credits. At the time of initial registration, you will need to enter accurate health insurance information; information will be verified.
Plagiarism Online Training
- All students are required to complete a 15-20 minute online training on "Understanding & Avoiding Plagiarism." July 26, 2013 is the deadline for students starting the MSW program summer or fall 2013.
- Training is located at http://www.studentlingo.com/MinnesotaDuluth
- Click on "Understanding & Avoiding Plagiarism" under the topic "Learning to Learn"
- Where it asks for your first name, enter "MSW" followed by your first name (e.g., "MSW Mary").
- Register for classes
- A Late registration fee will be assessed for any initial registration that occurs on or after the first day of the semester.
- During the first or second week = $50
- Thereafter: $100.
- MSW Student Handbook, Field Manual, and Child Welfare Scholars Handbooks.
- available online only
Student Lounge: Bohannon Hall 236
- Four computers, network printer and copier.
- Student Mail boxes: File folder for each student in the 2nd drawer of tan, vertical filing cabinet. Check your mail frequently for returned assignments and correspondence.
- Room is available Monday-Friday 7:30-10pm. On weekends sign-out room key at the Kirby Information Desk in Kirby Student Center
- Local Bus
- UMD students can ride DTA buses anytime, anywhere throughout the Twin Ports, FREE of charge with their UMD Photo I.D. (U card).
- Bus Service to/from Twin Cities
- The express service is offered seven days a week.