Our mission is to assist UMD in achieving its goals and objectives by providing quality human resources services to attract, develop, motivate and retain a diverse workforce within a supportive work environment. We accomplish this with an emphasis on customer service based on consultation and communication with the campus community and by:
- Promoting a diverse workforce in which employee contributions to UMD are accepted regardless of any protected class status.
- Advocating for work environments that respect the employee as an individual, are sensitive to the needs of employees, and strive to protect health and safety.
- Ensuring an ample flow of information and open communication throughout UMD in order to build trust, enhance understanding, and provide resolution to problems or complaints.
- Encouraging departments to create a work environment in which employees function as a team and assume responsibilities for identifying opportunities and addressing critical issues.
- Supporting ongoing change and providing avenues to aid in organizational effectiveness.
- Assisting employees to attain satisfying and rewarding work through staff development programs, wellness initiatives, and other needed services.
To meet our mission, we will function as a highly competent team that:
- Strives to provide services and information which balance the unique needs of employees and employing units and are consistent with the University's policies and procedures, laws and regulations, and collective bargaining agreements.
- Provides essential support for human resource matters.
- Delivers high-quality, responsive and cost-effective services and programs.
- Treats our customers and co-workers respectfully and ethically.
- Recognizes that, although each of us has important special perspectives and duties, we will be flexible in helping with what needs to be done.
- Reflects the high value that UMD places on its employees and the work that they perform.
- Fosters a positive work environment for the entire campus community.