10 Steps for Writing A Job Description
1. Write a job title (heading) – Include both the working title
and the official class number and title.
2. State the general purpose and objective of the position
3. Identify the position’s major functions
4. Identify task(s) related to each major function
5. Determine the percent of time spent on each major function
6. Order the major functions by importance to the job
7. Determine which major functions are essential and which are non-essential
8. Determine required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the
9. Determine the physical and environmental requirements of the position
10. Add the disclaimer statement - “The employer reserves the right
to modify, change, or add to the duties of the job description, consistent
with the University classification, at any time.”.