Step by Step Procedure in Hiring a Non-Academic Employee
Lita C. Wallace
External Access: 10406
Pre-Employment Background Checks
Objectives of Program:
UMD Policy & Procedure
UMD Policy on Conducting Background Checks for Prospective Employees of Non-Academic Positions (HTML)
Non-Senior Administrator positions
Senior Administrator Positions
Summary of Rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (PDF) - use for all backgrounds checks
UWide Policy Library - Conducting Pre-hire Background Verifications (HTML)
1. Prior to posting, hiring authorities and unit HR individuals should discuss with the UMD Department of Human Resources whether a position requires a background check and, if so, the type of background check necessary.
2. Verify that the recruitment information, announcement, position description, and job requisition accurately reflect that background verification is required.
3. Notify the selected applicant that the hiring offer is contingent on successful completion of a background check and that falsification of information may be cause for non-hire or later termination. There is no cost to the applicant to conduct the background check.
4. Provide the selected applicant the necessary forms to fill out and sign.
To ensure their privacy, applicants MUST return the completed forms to the Department of Human Resources for processing.
a. Applicable Background Check Consent - On the Consent, complete the section "To Be Completed by Hiring Authority" before providing the copy to the applicant.
b. Applicable Personal Disclosure Statement.
c. Summary of Rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The forms must be mailed, delivered or faxed to the UMD Department of Human Resources. If the applicant fails to complete the forms for the required background check, s/he cannot be hired for the position.
UMD Department of Human Resources
Attn: Background Checks
1049 University Drive
Duluth, MN 55812
5. Complete the Background Check Request
Cover Sheet form and fax to the UMD Department of Human Resources
at 218-726-6590. For most new hires, requests will be for the Standard Package-Duluth which includes the following checks: Social Security trace, Federal and County Criminal, Sex Offender Registry, Global Sanctions and Enforcements, and MVR (Motor Vehicle Records). Select the Basic + MVR package for the Student Clinical/Field Experience. Additional checks may be requested depending on the nature of the position. The cost for conducting background verification is available from UMD Human Resources.
6. UMD Human Resources will initiate the verification once it receives the Cover Sheet from the unit and the documents completed by the employee.
7. Upon completion of the background verification, UMD Department of Human Resources will notify the unit that report has been completed and advised whether to proceed with hiring. Do not proceed with the hire until you have discussed the outcome of the background check with UMD Department of Human Resources.
8. The hiring department or unit must write to the selected applicant and indicate whether the background check was successfully completed. If a "no" hire determination was made, provide the applicant a letter with contact information regarding the appeal process.
Contact Betsy Behning at 218-726-6520 with any questions about this process.