UMD Procedure for Conducting Background Verifications
Required and Advisable Background Verifications:
• Certain positions legally require standard pre-hire background
verification. These include positions working with young children or
adults (e.g., child care workers), pharmacy technicians, and positions
that require or permit access to student residence halls or attached
facilities. Verification must be conducted for these positions as a
result of a new hire, transfer, reclassification, promotion, or reassignment.
• Senior administrator positions require pre-hire background
verification. Required checks include work experience, academic degrees,
and criminal background. Other checks may be requested depending on
the functions of the position.
• Positions dealing with sensitive financial information and
the payment card industry require standard pre-hire background verification.
• Positions with unescorted access to radioactive materials require
standard pre-hire background verification.
• Student Clinical and Field Experiences: Background verifications
are required of students for these experiences, including practicum
and student teaching. The verification is designed to meet State school
district guidelines governing adults with responsibility for children.
• Under limited circumstances, a credit check may be appropriate.
UMD Human Resources in consultation with the Office of the General Counsel
makes the determination when this type of situation arises.
• The function(s) of certain positions may strongly suggest that
pre-hire background verification be conducted although it may not be
required either by law or University policy. UMD Human Resources will
work with units to define those positions where background verification
Guidelines for Conducting and Using Background Verifications:
1. Background verification must be conducted on all positions when
required by law; University administrative policy; or collegiate, unit,
coordinate campus, or administrative unit policy.
2. Of those positions where background verification is completed, offers
of employment are contingent upon satisfactory results. The selected
applicant(s) may not begin employment prior to the completion of the
background verification process.
3. The same verification must be done for positions similarly situated
within the unit. For example, all positions, regardless of classification,
with access to sensitive financial information or the payment card industry
must have checks conducted.
4. The same set of background verifications is required each time the
same position is posted and filled.
5. If making multiple offers, the use of background verification must
be applied consistently to each of the selected applicants.
6. The following information may be taken into account in determining
suitability for employment:
• False information provided in the application materials;
• Information revealing the absence of a required degree, professional
license or certification, or drivers license;
• Conviction for a crime that relates directly to the functions
of the position (UMD Human Resources in consultation with the Office
of the General Counsel makes the determination when this type of situation
• Discovery of any information which may prohibit hire under
state or federal law.
1. The appointing authority determines if background verification will
be conducted, either because it is legally required or required by the
University, or because the unit has identified the position as one where
verifications are advisable. UMD Human Resource is available for consultation
in making this determination.
2. All applicants must be informed if background verifications will
be conducted by appropriate notation in the posted position description.
Background verifications are conducted only on the selected applicant(s).
3. The applicant undergoing background verification must mail, fax,
or deliver the completed required forms to UMD Human Resources.
4. The background verification vendor, HireRight, reports the results
of the background verification to both the applicant and UMD Human Resources.
5. After a background verification report has been received and reviewed
by UMD Human Resources, the unit will be notified that the report has
been completed and advised whether to proceed with hiring.
Instructions for Conducting a Background Check: