Webmaster: Angela Niebolte
External Access: 85855
Process for the Probationary Appraisal
1. Review the Job Description. The supervisor reviews the job description which was used at the time of hire and provided to the new employee at that time. Any additions or deletions should be made at this time.
2. Prepare the Appraisal Form. Using the job description and observations from the probationary period, the supervisor then prepares the written appraisal.
For supervisors using the UMD Employee Performance Appraisal Form, rate each performance factor as “Superior,” “Exceeds Requirements,” “Competent,” “Requires Improvement,” or “Unsatisfactory.”
3. USE CAUTION!! Any area(s) for improvement identified during the probationary appraisal assessment should be an area of significant concern. Consultation with UMD Human Resources and Equal Opportunity is recommended before continuing the appraisal process.
4. Hold the Review. The supervisor and employee meet for the probationary
appraisal performance review. The employee is given an opportunity to
provide comments, the required signatures are collected on the form, photocopies
are made for employee and supervisor and the original is sent to UMD Human
Resources and Equal Opportunity for filing in the official personnel file.
6. Set Follow-Up if Needed. If areas for improvement were identified and (after consultation with UMD Human Resources) the department elected to retain the employee, the supervisor should, no later than 3 months, complete the UMD Follow-Up Form or similar, meet with the employee to address the progress and next steps, and continue with coaching and performance monitoring.